a life-like Q

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


PARKINGLOT

Canadian Railfan
basically, would a life-like locomotive be worth buying, or is it simply...well...crap? I'm sure "you-get-what-you-pay for", but I'm trying to find an F40PH and a nice Kato one is $125, and a life-like is like, $30.

Either way, I'd be painting and detailing it, so that's not an issue...

just looking for some opinion's....
 
Well, if you can't afford the Kato, buy a Walthers Trainline one. Avoid the Bachmann & Life Like.
 


If you can swing for the Kato, you won't be disappointed.
The Walthers is definately the "runner up" in the F40PH department.
The Bachman Spectrum line is a step or two above the regular Bachman line, I've known people who are happy with them.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I love my Kato F40PH!! But my damn Soundtraxx decoder for it is still on BACKORDER!!! Man, I wish they'd tell you these things BEFORE you order them...
 
I have the Spectrum F40PH, and I'm highly disappointed with the shell, and drive. I hope to find an Undec Walthers or Kato unit soon.
 
If you don't want to $$ for a Kato, the Walthers Trainline F40PH is a good choice.

Life-Like's is still part of their toy trainset line, they have never done a Proto version of it.

Bachmann has "improved" theirs several times and it's still a piece of junk.

Andy
 
My friend had a person (who unfortunately died) that took two L-L F40PH's, stripped the paint, superdetailed them, repainted them into Amtrak PhIII and put them on an Athearn custom done (GP40-2?) frame with one of them having the super short fuel tanks and the other being regular sized. They run really nice but they are a little light on their feet. There as our Kato F40PH's will out pull them, sometime when he wants to pull his AMTK Empire Builder out, we could have an F40PH day, we have in total between us 5 F40PH's, no P40BH's today, son. LOL It'd be great. I am a F40PH rabid person, but too bad that wont happen until my Soundtraxx decoder comes in...
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top