4x8 HO layout... recommendations?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Prime12

New Member
hey guys,

I just got into trains last winter and am still planning my (real) first layout. This is what I have right now on my train table:

layout1.jpg


I assembled the layout temporarily so I can learn how the trains worked and try out magnetic decoupling. The rails aren't even being held down with nails so the whole layout can be torn down in about 3 minutes.



This is how I am planning to expand the current layout:
layout2.jpg



I retained the broad curves (they are 22" with 24" easements) because I want to run a short passenger consist from time to time. In fact, I intend to put a passenger platform in the lower right space so that portion has to be left blank.

I loved doing hands-off magnetic decoupling in my prev layout hence the yard on the top :o.

I'll put a few industries next to the spurs on the left, and use the space in the middle for scenery.



Will this be ok for some basic operations? I'd appreciate any concerns, comments, constructive criticism. Go ahead and rip me a new one, you won't hurt my feelings :D.

I will be running modern diesels by the way.
 
First off, I suggest reading my Beginner's Guide to Layout Design. Take you about 10 minutes (click below).

Second, Your second overall plan is not half bad.

Make sure that you have room for buildings on your small spurs. The two smallest ones spurs are almost pointless.

22-24inch turns are very small for modern passenger operations.

Running track on the very edge of the layout is asking for some very expensive trouble.

Having less track that has purpose will hold your interest much longer than a lot of track with no purpose.

You limit your choices by designing for Atlas sectional track.
 
http://www.layoutvision.com/id28.html

Btw - knowing that a lot of people stop reading after the first paragraph - I suggest also clicking on the links on that page to see a couple of 4x8 plans that are good for operations and a clinic on starting ops on a 4x8.

Smile,
Stein
 
Last edited by a moderator:


The basic plan is very good. I can see where you are going to have curve clearance problems on that inside loop leading to the yard. This would be a much better layout if you could find a way to add even six inches to each side. It will get the tracks away from the layout edge and allow you to make larger radius, better flowing curves using flex track instead of sectional track. Sectional track is fine for yards and industrial tracks, but flex track gives you a lot more options for mainlines and sidings.
 
It looks a lot like the Great eastern trunk in the atlas book Seven Step by step Railroads Book 13. Its pretty much the same design except they two continuous main lines followed by a third on one side of the table for a departure track from the yard. Also it is not that big of a deal to have the train so close to the table. My Five by eight comes pretty close but I bought a plexi glass sheet at the hard ware store and cut it into strips and screwed them to the side. Also that spur you have in the top right hand corner is a really good idea because it alows you an exit if ever in the future you want to expand your layout. Another thing about little spurs that are good is that they make good places to park engines with selective siding control. Are you planning on using DC cab control?
 
I do not remember who, but there is someone on the forum who is building almost the same layout, so you should search his thread, look for "grand trunk"
 
I like the 2nd plan you show. I would add a divider in the center or add buildings trees etc... to the center to hide the view of the other side... to make it look larger than just a loop.


I agree with Jim that the inner circle is way to close! 40' freight cars wont be able to pass each other without contact. so a longer passenger car will also not work here

IMO this layout size is best built for switching only. stick with that mind set so you can enjoy it without the trouble of making larger cars barely make it around. If you can stick with 40' or shorter cars this layout will be perfect... again this is just my opinion with past experince.


If you have to have passenger service... I dont know what era you run but round house had the overton cars that fit right at home behind small steam or even some early diesel switchers. use sectional track around switches and curves this tight. 18" is fine and even a little tighter if you run very small diesels. I avoid flex track below 24" radius.... sidings and strait sections its fine to use

I have a 15x15 dogbone layout and all I run is 40' cars. no passenger service, I have a few 50' cars but they dont look right on the tighter parts of the layout.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the opinions guys. Most of the time I'll be doing switching but at the same time I do want to see a short amtrak train run on it from time to time :o. It'll only be doing outer ovals though; I won't be forcing it through #4 switches or anything. Is even that going to be too much?

I re-did the track plan on xtrkcad, tried running some (virtual)trains and modified the layout somewhat. Here's the new one:

Layout2xtrk.JPG



It was easy enough on computer, but I'm not sure how I'll be creating that inner loop with flex track. Hmmm.....:confused:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The nice thing about flex track for the inside loop is that you aren't stuck using the 18" sectional track that would normally be used with the 22" radius outside curve. You can finesse the inside loop to 19" or maybe even 20" as long as you're not going to run into fouling problems between two trains. Even a 19" radius will be a lot easier on passenger cars and larger wheelbase locos.

The rest of the layout looks fine. One thing you might want to do is add a crossover between the second and third track, about midway in the yard. You'll lose a couple of car storage spots, but your switcher will be able to escape when it's trapped behind a cut of cars.

One more thing. If you have access to all four sides of the layout, the reach will still be right at the edge of the average man's 33" reach, remembering that you'll have to reach over trains and scenery. If you don't have access to all four sides, you need to plan a small popup in the middle, because there will be some sections that will be difficult or impossible to reach without some kind of ladder.
 


The track seems interesting. Now how do buildings, roads to get to the buildings, and parking fit in. XtrkCAD has a few of the more common buildings, Play around a while and see if you can make a scene.

Here's a plan similar to yours with the scenery worked out.

ChipContest.jpg
 
The track seems interesting. Now how do buildings, roads to get to the buildings, and parking fit in. XtrkCAD has a few of the more common buildings, Play around a while and see if you can make a scene.

Here's a plan similar to yours with the scenery worked out.

ChipContest.jpg

Chip,

The next layout I build will definitely be a version of this :D
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top