3d Printed Buildings

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


No, I am considering a Ultimaker 3D printer and was just wondering what you thought about how well they print in a smaller scale. So you are buying your 3D models? Have you ever looked at grabcad.com? They have tons of free stuff there. I am not sure what format your printer uses, but I assume STP files will work? If so, SolidWorks can generate STP files. It's not too terribly difficult to use. There are other 3D modeling programs out there that are cheaper than SolidWorks, but I think SolidWorks is one of the better, cheaper 3d modelers available to the general public. I can model just about anything I want to using Mastercam. But I don't have a license for it any more. I do however have a copy of SolidWorks, but it has been awhile since i have used it.
 
I have an Afinia printer, and do all my own design work. I use SketchUp for all my design work, and print using STL files. SketchUp does everything I need, is easy to learn, and is FREE. For highly detailed items, I sent the files to shapeways, but that is another thread. I certainly can't afford buildings printed at shapeways.
 
I was referring to 3d printers in general. I haven't seen much difference in print quality mentioned in the reviews I have read. I realized you have the Afinia. I was just curious if you were printing mainly N scale as I would be doing, how well do you think the printer would work?

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk
 


For N scale buildings, it would depend on the detail you want, need, expect. It would print, at least in my opinion, acceptable concrete block walls, but bricks would be too small to print. Large lap siding, 10-12", would work, but smaller would be marginal. Software upgrades in the future may make some of this better, as the two upgrades last year were both big improvements. Hope that helps.
 
It's all getting better. I imagine in a year or so the prices will come down a tad. But I don't think I am going to wait for that to happen.

Thanks.
 
Hi Kent,
I'm very curious how a higher-resolution printer handles model-railroad structures like these. Do you have any of your STLs or SketchUp files available for download? I suspect they will come out quite well at 25um layer thickness (H0 scale: 0.08").
 
Hi Kent,
I'm very curious how a higher-resolution printer handles model-railroad structures like these. Do you have any of your STLs or SketchUp files available for download?.

I do not. I am considering offering the STL files on a CD. Just have to find time for the all the work to do that, copyrights, CD labels, and web site.


Kent in KC
[email protected]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
 


A0011.jpg
This is the shop and machine shed I printed in HO scale. The building, exposed trusses, posts and windows and doors are all 3d printed. They roof is sheet styrene with laser cut shingles from Clever Models.

Construction details can be viewed here:
http://nvrr49.blogspot.com/2013/11/shop-building-machinery-shed-down-on.html

More finished pictures and details on the Clever roofing product can be viewed here:
http://nvrr49.blogspot.com/2014/01/shop-building-machinery-shed-redux-down.html
 


Kent, You have out done yourself with this latest creation.
That's really a good little structure for trackside detailing. I can see several bunched together.
Nice going.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top