3d Printed Buildings

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


nvrr49

Member
This is a smokehouse I printed on my Afinia printer. HO scale.
A A DSC_0013.jpg

Construction details can be found here: http://nvrr49.blogspot.com/2013/09/smokehouse-ho-scale-3d-printed-down-on.html
 
That is nice! Now is the building solid or did the printer create the building as a shell and then print the roof as solid?
 


I was just watching some videos on the Ultimaker 2 printer. I would love to get one one of these days. What is the thinnest structure you can print?
 
I was just watching some videos on the Ultimaker 2 printer. I would love to get one one of these days. What is the thinnest structure you can print?

I have got to update this next weekend to get it ready for the Amherst show. Most of the updating will be new models I have built. We will be running the printer at the clinic.
 


Polish would not be the word I would use. Sand and file would be more like it. If you zoom in on the smokehouse, you can see some sanding scratches that I did not cover or sand out well enough. Not really seen from normal viewing distance, but there none the less.
 
DSC_00184.jpg
Here is a mini-diorama I did for a build challenge on kitforums.com. The structures are all 3d printed. I have lots of photos and in progress build photos on my blog. At the bottom of the blog entry listed below are links to construction and design pictures.
http://nvrr49.blogspot.com/2013/07/mrrforumscom-2013-summer-build.html
 
Hi nvrr49, I really like the new picture of houses you just posted. Also I read your slides on 3D printing. Thank you very much. I checked Afinia's website and found the price very tempting. :D
 
If you are attending the Amherst show, Afinia is supposed to be there with a booth. I have no affiliation with them, but I will be putting on a clinic on Thursday on my experience with the Afinia printer. I really need to up date the slides in the presentation...
 
...If you zoom in on the smokehouse, you can see some sanding scratches that I did not cover or sand out well enough. Not really seen from normal viewing distance, but there none the less.

Not knocking your work because it is amazing stuff. But that grit of sandpaper looks like it would have made perfect scale lines on those brick had you sanded vertically ;)
 
If you are attending the Amherst show, Afinia is supposed to be there with a booth. I have no affiliation with them, but I will be putting on a clinic on Thursday on my experience with the Afinia printer. I really need to up date the slides in the presentation...

I am not attending the show as I am not living in the States. But would like to see your update to the presentation. Cheers!
 


Nscaler man, I am actually working on a blog post with some N scale stuff, but in short...

One could certainly print N scale structures using shapeways.com, great detail, but the cost would be somewhat high. In HO it is outrageous form shapeways, but the detail is much better.

As an example, in N I could not print bricks like the lumberyard office above. Concrete blocks work fine in N scale...they are about the size of HO bricks after all. I have done lap siding in N scale, and it is okay, but, well, out of scale to look right. When I get some printed, I will post some picts. The smokehouse, for instance, would be easy to convert to N scale. You need one?
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top