ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
1.) I finally purchased the 0-4-0 Tea Kettle from life - like. I was wondering if anyone knows the prototype for this little engine.
2.) I was at a Model Train show yesterday and I saw an interesting engine. I believe it was model power but I cant tell. It was short and tall. 0-4-0. Defidently a tank engine. Could anyone help me out?
The 0-4-0 Teakettle doesn't really have a prototype. It's a fantasy engine loosely based on small switch engines from the 1880's but there's no spsecific engine it's modeled after.
Not sure on the other engine without a picture. The most popular 0-4-0 tank engine ever made was the Dockside. It was (and is) made be several companies, including Life-Like. The prototype was a B&O engine especially constructed to switch the tight curves of the docks in Baltimore, hence the name. Here's a picture:
Post a picture or 2 of what? Without pictures of both engines, we don't have much of a chance but pure guessing, especially about about #2. "Extraordinarily unusual" doesn't give us much to go on. As for the Life-Like Tea Kettle, none of the details match any real steam engine, from the ridiculously large wood cowcatcher on the front of a switch engine, the nonsensical steam chests and valve gear to the cab that's almost as large as the entire engine. This engine was designed in mid-60's when it common to make up fantasy engines, with no regard to a proptotype, so the company would have something to put in train sets. This is the Tea Kettle I'm thinking of. Unless you have a different one, it's pure make-believe.
Sorry If I was vague.
I meant post some pics of old switchers. I cant find them. I guess since its fantasy Im going to really mod it.
Also, I made a mistake. Its not a tank engine. Its a tender engine. 0-4-0 Old time engine. Was what the Ebay post said it was. I lost the pic. Sorry.
Hope this clears it up a little.
Joe, do a Yahoo or Google search for "steam switch engines" and you'll get thousands of hits. See if any of the ones you see match up with what you saw on the e-bay ad. It's pointless for me to post hundreds of 0-4-0 pictures and hope I get the one you saw. Life-Like made several 0-4-0 switchers that were much more accurate models but your description of the one you saw as "Extraordinarily unusual" is throwing me off, since I can't think of anything but a Camelback that I would describe in such a manner.
If you want to do some practice kitbashing an engine, the Tea Kettle is a good one since it's cheap and pretty poor running engine to begin with. The good thing is you can't make it much worse than it already is.