ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
First for airbrushing. I just got a new airbrush so I went there looking for some paints. Anyway as I was looking, and they were kind of hidden, I found a 6 pack of plastic 1 ounce bottles with the metal airbrush tube/cap that slides right into any standard airbrush. It was only 5.99. They come with plastic caps that you can put over the tube so the paint does not dry out when you are done using it, so you can leave the paint in it, airbrush ready, for next time. I also put a small piece of tape over the cap vent hole. I put my most used colors in 4 of the bottles and in the other two I have one with thinner and one with water. Some of my colors are waterbased. This way I can go from one color/paint type to another easily.Spraying(oil based) grimy black, when I am done grab the thinner bottle clean my air brush out and then grab my next color hook it up and go. Cuts down on cleaning and pouring paint. Second find was that Hobby Lobby has 12 packs of standard (school) size bottles of white glue(Elmers type)for 3.99. I am doing scenery right now and this stuff works great and for that price you can't beat it.
Sounds like a good buy on the bottles, but I'd be careful about saving the paint for next time, unless next time was going to be later in the day, or at the latest tomorrow. If you think about it, when you consider the labor involved in stripping, preparing, masking, and so forth, the actual paint is the cheapest part of the project. Once a hobby paint is thinned, and once the mixture is exposed to air, you have a fairly short "pot life". There is also not much more frustrating than clogging up your airbrush, and possibly ruining an otherwise good paint job with partially congealed crud that you "saved".
You are listening to the voice of experience speaking...

You are listening to the voice of experience speaking...
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt!
I had the paint separate and congeal in the bottle overnight once, so that taught me.
Yes ....once you've finished your project dispose of the old paint mix ,clean the air brush and any jars.
Some times you miss caculate your paint requirements and have to depose of a half a jar or more ,Its a learning process we've all done it.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)