1st pics of the rebuild of my layout

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


GP30

Johnny B
Ok,
I've decided to go ahead and start posting pics of my layout. I'm by far no pro. I've learned alot by trial and error and by searching websites. This layout was originaly started about 15 years ago or so. Because of my job and money, I really never got it finished. I did have trains running around but none of the track work was permanant. I'd have to say it was roughly 20% finished or started, which ever way you want to look at it. About 7 years ago, I moved out of my house and tore it down and it's been in storage till about 2 months ago. I've got all the bench work back up and fastened. It's actually all level!! LOL! The first set of pics are my layout on the floor of my basement where its going to be.
IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg


and yes thats a N scale module on the floor behind my couch. I used to belong to a N scale club in Rochester a long time ago. Genesee and Ontario model engineers.

BTW: the dimensions are 15.5 ft x 24 ft or so.

Johnny B
 
I've noticed I've lost the set of pictures showing the layout actually being put back up and fastened to the wall, so I'll jump ahead a little bit. The next set of pics show where I laid some track down and put some buildings up just to see what it would look like. I also cut some blue foam up to get some ideas for mountains. This was originaly built as a double main setup, but I've changed my mind and will be building it as a single main with 3-4 sidings and a decent size yard.
IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_1506.jpg

IMG_1512.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg
 
My plan is too keep the train hidden on the backside of the layout so it doesnt look so bad running thorugh the same scenery too much. My plan is once the train goes through the scenery on the front side, once it goes into the tunnel on the South side of the layout, it wont be seen again till the other side. I have really made up my mind yet, on whether or not it will be seen at all on the backside somehow.
IMG_1514.jpg
 


Now that I have some idea on how I want my layout to look, I've stripped the layout of the track and buildings and such to start working on painting my backdrop. I decide to break out the airbrush and practice with some clouds and stuff. I have one side of the wall done and am working on the other wall this week. heres some pics
IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1567.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg
 
WOW nice layout and nice progress!! I really like the blue sky and the clouds :D

You have a good size space to work with too, looking forward to some more progress pics.

BTW, your coal mine looks awesome!! Is that a Walthers kit you built and then added more parts too?
 
Very nice job, Johnny. Your hills are coming out really nice given the blocks of foam you started with. That trestle looks real good at the front fo the layout. The paint back drop and clouds are outstanding. The only suggestion I'd make is to lighten up the sky with a little white right above the mountains to give the illusion of haze you often see when looking over a mountain landscape. Keep up the good work. :)
 
Hey! Thanks you guys! very much.
Josh: Yes it's the Walthers kit with some extra pieces added to make it a tad larger facility.

Jim: I am going to try that. I want to try and paint some mountains on the back drop to blend in with the mountains I have against the wall, then try and give the haze look.

I'm very pleased so far with how the background is turning out. I've been waiting a long time to get this layout back up and running.
 
Looking great! I'd like to have you paint my backdrops, lol. Mine look like a preschoolers art project. HAHA
 


cct70: Believe it or not, This was my very 1st attempt at clouds. I've only used this airbrush a couple of times years ago, just to weather a few engines and cars. I was afraid to attempt the clouds because of my lack of experience, but after I did the first wall, I was very surprised at my outcome!! I cant wait to finish the 2nd wall tonight. After I paint the clouds on the one wall tonight, I'm going to attempt several background mountains. Thanks again for everyones comments! Much appreciated!!

Johnny B :cool:
 
More painting

Well, I finished painting the 2nd wall with clouds. I still have to go back and highlight the bottom of them with Gray. I also dabbled a little tonight trying my hand at painting some mountains to kind of fill in behind my foam background.
IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg
 
Oil Paint trees?

Arcrylic from Wal Mart. Several shades of green. I figured once I lined the foam backdrop with trees, everything should blend in nicely. I hope. :)

Does it look ok?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Looking very good! You are moving along alot faster then me :D

I try and do something every day on it. My main goal is to get the back drop and painting done. Then I can work on getting the track laid down against the whole back of the layout. Once thats done, I can start the process of the buiding of the mountains in the front thats going to be hiding the train. I spent today paint shadows underneath the clouds I painted the other day. I at least want to have the roadbed down and the mainline in place by Christmas.
 
The trees look great, especially on a cement block wall. As you say, they will blend in nicelly with your foreground trees when you get them up.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top