12 X 14 room help

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Stein,

Forgot to add, I did try to contact Mr. Ties, to no avail.

MPB

Mmm - I don't know how old he/she is/was in 2005 - could of course be that he is not with us anymore. Or just that he has changed internet suppliers or something. Or lost the interest in the hobby or something.

I don't get any likely matches for Chris/Christopher/middle initial C on family name Ties in the ( social security death index )

Googling for the name, I see that he or she (Chris can be either man or woman) was affiliated with the Gateway (St. Louis) chapter of the NMRA about 10 years ago - the same name show up in their bulletin.

Peoplefinder.com has a Christina A Ties in Dubuque, Iowa, which may or may not be related. Two persons with last name but nothing like C or Chris or Chrisopher Ties in Missouri. 100+ persons named Ties nationwide - might be a long shot.

Might possibly be worthwhile to contact the Gateway Chapter of the NMRA (http://www.gatewaynmra.org/).

Smile,
Stein
 
MoPac ... southwest Missouri ... late 1960s ... Hey! I think my Mom road those trains from Cleveland to Austin! Did mainline passenger service go through that region?
________
KID PAXIL
 
Last edited by a moderator:
LoudMusic,

The area I'm focusing on is kinda southeast to central Missouri, Washington county to be specific. I'm not sure which passenger trains ran on which routes yet, I'm still doing lots of research. Anything interesting or noteworthy I find, I'll post here.

I am very interested in modeling passenger service too, mostly locals but with a few run through main line trains.

MPB
 


MoPac ... southwest Missouri ... late 1960s ... Hey! I think my Mom road those trains from Cleveland to Austin! Did mainline passenger service go through that region?

Quick google result (from http://www.american-rails.com/missouri-pacific.html)

Looks like the most direct route from St. Louis to Austin would go through this area - quite possibly on the Texas Eagle route (http://www.american-rails.com/texas-eagle.html).

missouri-pacific-railroad-map.jpg


Doug mentioned growing up in Arcadia, MO - south of the area focused on in this design, watching the Texas Eagle fly by.

Smile,
Stein
 
As I'm doing research and looking at trackage maps of Potosi (thanks to stein), I'm wondering.

The line into Potosi from Mineral Point was a stub end branch, with no way to turn a train, just a runaround track. In the days of steam or E/F units, would the loco have pushed the train to Potosi backwards and then pulled out? Pulled into Potosi, ran around the train, then operated backwards out of town? This branch was only about 3 1/2 miles long, just curious. I'd love to see some photo evidence of the answer, but no dice so far. Mostly curious about this from a passenger train standpoint I guess.

MPB
 
The line into Potosi from Mineral Point was a stub end branch, with no way to turn a train, just a runaround track. In the days of steam or E/F units, would the loco have pushed the train to Potosi backwards and then pulled out? Pulled into Potosi, ran around the train, then operated backwards out of town? This branch was only about 3 1/2 miles long, just curious.

Well, we don't actually know that there was a runaround there - the map is not clear enough to say that for sure. I just made the assumption that it might have been one there at the time.

It is also possible that the locomotive would back in from Mineral Point to Potosi, pushing it's cars ahead of it all the way from Mineral point, and then head out again, pulling cars behind it.

Running backwards on a single ended branch happened - the Milwaukee Road would e.g. back up with passenger cars from their their yard in south Minneapolis (near Hiawatha Avenue) up to their downtown stub ended passenger terminal in Minneapolis - a distance of about 30 city blocks on a railroad that was concerned with fast passenger traffic into the twin cities.

But allowing a runaround move at Potosi makes for a more interesting model railroad :-)

Smile,
Stein
 
Stein,

I looked a bit closer at that map, you are correct, there is no obvious runaround track there. When I get to build this town, I'll use modelers license to include one, it'll definately help operations.

For now I'll assume that passenger trains backed the 3 1/2 miles from the main at Mineral Point to the Potosi depot.

I'm still looking for photographic proof of the practices in that area/era.

MPB
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top