ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Just bought an N scale building sign that requires a 12V power supply. What do you guys use to create / supply 12V for these types of accessory? Thanks in advance. Ken
Ken - Most HO or N DC power packs will work just fine. They usually have a DC connections for the trains (Which you can control) and an AC side for accessories. These are dirt cheap, in fact I came across a vendor a while back just giving them to get rid of them. If you're using one to power your trains, you might want to get a separate one for accessories.
Thanks.
My power packs are 18VDC output. Will this harm the bulb or burn it out faster? I already have my other accessories on a separate power pack. Thanks again.
Yeah, 18v in a 12v bulb won't hold long. In fact most people recommend running bulbs below their rated voltage to keep them going longer.
I think computer PSUs (power supplies) put out about twelve volts. I've seen tutorials to make them into power stations for powering and testing electronics. Instructables.com has a few such tutorials.
You could try a local surplus electronics type store. I have one here in town where I get things like 12V wall-warts for around $4.50 - ideal for the job and independent of your other layout power.
Or just check the stack of wall-warts in your cupboard that you forgot what they are for and you throw them in a pile. Not lots of things use 12V, but enough that you may already own the answer to your question.
John
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)