12 Function vs 22 Function DCC System

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


jtomai

New Member
My local hobby shop told me that if I bought the "old" Digitrax Super Empire Builder DCC system that wasnt full duplex that I'd be getting a system with only 12 functions per locomotive vs 22 functions on the "Full Duplex" system.

The "Full Duplex" Super Empire Builder is like $150-$200 more.

I am new to the hobby and 1/2 of the way through laying 150 feet of track on my layout.

Do I really need the Full Duplex System for lots more $$$ for 10 additional functions? They tell me that "the new Broadway Limited Locomotives use them and its for additional sounds".

Assuming I dont need wireless yet, will 12 functions be satisfactory per locomotive? or do I need "Full Duplex"? Would the standard Digitrax Super Empire Builder without Full Duplex do alot for me as a newcomer to the hobby for a 150ft of track layout?


Thanks,

John
 
Hi,

I *may* be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure your LHS is at best giving out of date info and at worst, is flat out wrong..... All my stuff is now a generation or two out of date, but my understanding is:

- All 3 of the current systems offer F0-F28 (for a total of 29 functions). [From the Digitrax site btw]
- I'm probably going to get shouted at here, but FWIW, the SEB only does "write only" programming, which is, IMHO, a royal PITA.

Again, FWIW, the new Zephyr Xtra and a DT400/402 radio throttle will give you two throttles, one obviously walkaround for about the same as the SEB. Don't underestimate the pleasure inherent in a hand-held - It's *so* convenient.

I believe that (but haven't checked, so YMMV) that even an original Zephyr coupled with a DT throttle will handle all functions (up to #28).

Cheers,
Ian
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top