“rule of thumb” on Narrow gauge rolling stock sizes

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


sajordan

New Member
I’ve managed to build a couple HOn3 wheel sets from Kadee, and mount them on an old MDC platform car. I shortened the car by cutting about an inch and half from the middle, but did not narrow it. Needless to say, it does not look right. Does anyone have advice or websites that can give me a “rule of thumb” on Narrow gauge rolling stock sizes? I’m modeling a lumber line in the Pacific NW, but not a specific prototype. It’s kinda hard to judge from the old archive photos I’ve seen.

Thanks
 
I don't know of any "rule of thumb" guides on narrow gauge equipment. I do have some dimensions on a few narrow gauge cars. For example the box car is 24' long, 9'8" high (from top of rails to roof walk), 7'4" wide, 15'11" truck centers, 54" door opening, and 11'2" brake wheel height. Let me know which cars you are looking for and I'll see if I have them.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Thanks to all that have responed! A wealth of information. Looks like I'll have some benchtime comming up, populating my layout. Oh boy!
SAJ
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top