ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
T
Okay, so I'm back square one (my first post) ..... looking for BLI Heavy Mike 2-8-2 in the black/silver/green/boxcar red color scheme (road name irrelevant). Anyone having one to sell, or knowing where I could find one, please advise. Thanks.
-
T
I want the black, silver, green, boxcar red color scheme, and I don't see any unlettereds with that. I also don't see any GNs.
-
T
I need one (1) Broadway Limited Imports USRA Heavy Mikado 2-8-2, Great Northern -- either #3207 (BLI-2883), or #3204 (BLI-2882). Cannot find either one anywhere. If you have one you'd sell me, or know where I might find one, please let me know. Thanks for any assistance.
-
T
I need one (1) Walthers Platinum Line Type 21 10,000 MOW Water Tank Car (932-42203). Cannot find it anywhere. If you have one you'd sell me, or know where I might find one, please let me know. A second choice would be the same car, but Walthers No. 932-42200. Thanks for any assistance.
-
T
PROBLEM SOLVED!!! To quote Phil Mickelson after he blew the '06 US Open at Winged Foot, "I am such an idiot!". Yep, I pulled a Lefty. Take a look at either of those two schematics of my layout I posted and you'll see a little symbol at the end of each spur. That's a bumper. And I actually...
-
T
BTW, I live in the country, between Driftwood and Wimberley, TX. Just on the off-chance one of you knowledgeable folks lives in the area :-).
-
T
To Mike: Okay, I'll try that test.
To fcwilt: Yes, one of the first things I did was to verify that the wiring was consistent on the main line and turnouts. But I'm going to run the test Mike suggested.
Now, on your suggestion, I'm using PECO insulfrog turnouts. I don't see any gaps in the...
-
T
I have confirmed that all turnouts involved are of the insulfrog variety, and the underside wiring is correct. All the turnouts are new.
-
T
Okay, here's a schematic of the full layout. There are other sidings (turnouts off the main loops), but I've disconnected all of them except the one shown. If I don't add power to the turnouts, I can run several locos simultaneously on the loops with no problem. Only when I add power to the...
-
T
Nope, no luck. Just tried disconnecting all the other turnouts on the layout, but result is the same. But....to answer your earlier question, the layout works just fine as long as I don't power the turnouts. That is, locos run the main loop (and a couple of concentric loops) just fine. Then...
-
T
Nope, no luck. Just tried disconnecting all the other turnouts on the layout, but result is the same.
-
T
Right. I made a testbed on a 4x6 plywood board. Simple loop, with one turnout, and a turnout off that turnout. Wired the main loop with power in one location. Ran feeders to the ends of both turnouts. worked perfectly -- I could run a loco around the loop, non-stop, while running switchers on...
-
T
Mike ... oops, the PECO requirement for insulated joiners (gaps) was only in the situation where overscale wheels might be creating shorts between adjacent frog rails ... my situation does not involve that at all ... so they say no gapping is required ... --Gary
-
T
Mike ... I have power to the main loop in two places, on either side of the problem turnout ... and it does short out if I throw the switch to permit use of the turnout ... but I did another experiment ... I used a continuity meter to test for continuity between the rails on either side of the...
-
T
Mike . . . I have now: (1) verified for certain that all my turnouts are insulfrog; and (2) verified that my feeders are properly oriented in relation to main power feeds. Refer to my earlier diagram, where the two loose ends do in fact complete a loop. I still get a short every time I power up...
-
T
Mike ... that was the most helpful response I've had ... made things very clear. So either I have an electrofrog that's somehow slipped into the picture or else I have the feeder wires reversed. The latter is easy to check. For the former, since the turnouts are glued down, if I use a continuity...
-
T
Follow-up question
Mike . . . many thanks . . . that was the best explanation and most help I've ever had on this problem . . . I seem to have one of two problems: (1) either an electrofrog has snuck into the layout, or (2) I've got my feeder wires to the turnouts backwards. The latter is easy...
-
T
I've attached a diagram of the problem. I tried feeding power at A, B, and C, but got shorts. Same at E and D. Locos run perfectly on the main loop if I don't feed the turnouts. So what do I need to do so I can run switchers on the turnouts?
-
T
I use PECO insulfrog turnouts on my DCC layout. I set up a small track testbed with a simple loop and one siding. Put a loco on the loop track, and another on the siding. With the turnout set so the loop was complete, the loco there ran, but the one on the turnout did not get any power. So I...
-
T
Okay, many thanks for all the answers. Going to give it a shot. Best regards . . .
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)