Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. B

    Do NOT rely on eBay FeedBack being HONEST!

    JD, I'm not defending the seller here, or your claim that eBay's feedback is really inaccurate, but try reversing the situation........ If you had sold a locomotive on eBay, and after the buyer receives it he then sends you an email with a photo of the locomotive pulled apart, and him claiming...
  2. B

    N scale how do you guys do it?

    Glasses do help, but for the finer details I find one of these very useful.. Its probably best to keep the glass of single malt scotch until work is done for the day, and your sitting back and running some trains..;)
  3. B

    Dcc decoders and speakers- N Scale

    It is sad when manufacturers fail to notify customers of upgrades (if you could call it that) and they get caught out.. That is a whole new can of worms that you are about to open.. Please, do yourself a favour and don't go out and buy the first system that you find, do some research... There...
  4. B

    Dcc decoders and speakers- N Scale

    Look, I have only tried running the MRC decoders off my DCC system (an NCE Powercab) so I cant really comment on how, or if they run on DC.. I suspect it could be a simple programming issue, although it does make you wonder why MRC does not have them set by default to DC operation, especially...
  5. B

    Dcc decoders and speakers- N Scale

    I would just use a Sound only decoder and place the decoder and speaker in the box car.. Then all you would need to do is program the sound decoder as the same address as the locomotive that it trails, or give it a separate address, and advanced or basic consist it with the locomotive..
  6. B

    My First Locomotive

    How big is your layout? If your layout is not that big (i.e. not filling an entire room) then have you considered under layout sound? I have two Kato SD40-2 locomotives fitted with MRC sound decoders, and the sound from them is well, umm, rather tinny, and after a while I find it somewhat...
  7. B

    My First Locomotive

    For a Kato N SCALE SD70Ace Locomotive I would suggest an MRC sound decoder for ease of installation mainly due to the speaker being attached to the Decoder board.. Unfortunately there does not seem to be an MRC sound decoder for a Kato SD70Ace, only for a SD70 MAC and AC4400, which is a part...
  8. B

    Upgrade path for NCE

    I'm not sure that anyone has really answered your question as yet, so I'll have a go. As some have said previously, the Powercab is an entry level system, that has the controller built into the cab, meaning that it caannot be disconnected, and if you do disconnect it, the rails will go dead...
  9. B

    Trouble installing decoders

    Hi gabby.. If you have a digital camera, I have alwaays found it useful to take photo's when taking something apart for the first time.. That way, if you forget how it goes back together, you will have the photo's to refer to.. Pay particular attention as to which way the bushings are...
  10. B

    Coupler shank length question

    I've just finished converting all of my older Rapido equipped cars over to Micro Trains trucks & couplers, and I used the Short couplers and had no issues.. These were mostly Bachmann freight wagons/cars, with a few Atlas and Roundhouse cars thrown in.. I did not convert any passanger cars...
  11. B

    LED Wiring

    Again, great work.. Its such a simple design.. Do you mind if I use it?? How do you get around the dual power supplies?? Two full wave bridge rectifiers fed off a common AC source, or do you use two separate power supplies?? How does it go switching two (2) Atlas type turnouts at once, or...
  12. B

    LED Wiring

    Hi TomR.. Is that your work and or design?? (great work if it is..) Im assuming that these are Atlas twin coil turnouts.??.... I suppose that it would not be that difficult to convert it to suit the Kato single coil Turnouts.. (wire the single coil turnout in place of the twin coils, and...
  13. B

    LED Wiring

    Harlan, It should not matter if you apply your input power to the centre two terminals, or the outer two terminals, both will give the same result, an output that reverses polarity when the switch is changed... Gents, with the diagrams that I provided, I tried to give you a cheap and easy...
  14. B

    LED Wiring

    Hi Art.. No, it doesnt matter if you put the resistor on the Anode or Cathode of the LED, just as long as you use one.. If you dont, the LED wont last very long... The only reason I put the resistor on the cathode in the Kato drawing, is because I put a single resistor on the cathode of...
  15. B

    LED Wiring

    Harlan.. If you want to use bi-coloured LEDs instead of the single coloured ones, then there is no reason why you could not just substitute them for the single coloured LEDs in the Kato turnout drawing I have posted.. The only thing that you will need to do is to wire one LED the opposite...
  16. B

    LED Wiring

    Hi Art.. Both the Kato and Atlas turnouts only need a pulse or momentary burst of electricity to make them work.. If you supply a continuous voltage to either one, they will burn out.. Look, I apologise in advance for the crude drawings, but I have no electrical drawing software to use...
  17. B

    LED Wiring

    Harlan I dont think that you quite understand what I mean.. Im going to use a pushbutton switch such as this.. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062539 .. And a toggle switch such as this.. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102475 .. What YOU...
  18. B

    LED Wiring

    Harlan.. These Kato turnouts that you are using are they the Unitrack ones that are described here?? http://www.fiferhobby.com/html/how_to_make_kato_turnout_contr.html If this is what you have, then they work by reversing the polarity to the coil inside the turnout on a momentary basis...
  19. B

    LED Wiring

    Hi Harlan.. I'm not real familiar with the Kato turnouts that you are using, but from what you have said, they seem to be more like the Atlas snap turnouts, where you have to apply power to them momentarily (a single pulse) to get them to activate, rather than the motorised units such as a...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top