ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
I just finished a piece of electronics to simulate an aviation obstruction light on top of my new water tower. It is based on the ATtiny13A microcontroller and supports up to 5 pulsing LED lights you can put on the top of your towers & other tall structures in your layout to make aviation more...
-
I did think about it, but a stepper motor can lose steps and is therefore not really reliable enough to provide accurate alignment to the approach tracks by itself. I would need to provide some other alignment/indexing mechanism anyway. And driving steppers requires a dual H-bridge. Also (and...
-
Thank you :-) Life & other interests get in the way of model railroading - hence the lengthy timeframe. Even model RR hobby itself can cause delays in projects - so many interesting things have happened in the meanwhile. For instance, I have been reading up on DCC++ while my 3d printer was...
-
John, I like that continuous turn potentiometer for rough positioning...I assume you can then assign numbers to each of the approach tracks and command the table to go to a specific one? I have been wondering how I could accomplish that without resorting to complicated optical encoder systems...
-
I think employing 3d printing for this purpose is a great idea! However, the Geneva drive is fairly limiting in the sense that you have to divide the circle into a certain number of stops, say every N degrees. It would stop at every N degree spot, so in operation it would not look very...
-
Hehe, I would never drink decaf!
But now I have a tapered plate girder beam!
I had to massively exaggerate the size of the rivets in order for them to come through at all in the slicer (I'm using Cura) in preparation for the 3d printing process. We'll see how well it actually comes out - it is...
-
The good thing about having a long hiatus in a project is that technology can catch up to what you need :) That is indeed what has happened in the 6 years this project lay waiting for a better day: 3D printing came out! I have designed the turntable bridge in OpenScad and printed out my first...
-
; part 2
; **************************
; Main
; **************************
Main:
Loop:
ldi r16,POTPIN ; // read the user input (CW/CCW) potentiometer
rcall analogRead ; PotValue = analogRead(PotPin);
mov PotValue,r16
IF1...
-
In case someone is looking for the Assembly (ASM) code for the ATtiny13A, here it is. It is 428 bytes in length so using a bit more than 40 percent of the available code space. The ASM was hand assembled from the original C code. The original C code is left as comments at the end of each ASM...
-
Omg! I have some Marklin Z-scale trains & track and having tried modeling buildings myself in that scale I have
to take my hat off for you. Beautiful work!
-ik
-
Oooo, code 70, that looks so nice!
Are those approach tracks 8 or 9 degrees apart? That's one area where I have had a nagging doubt - my current design uses 6 degree spacing as in the prototype. I had a feeling the approach tracks would get a bit too close together given the diameter of the...
-
Finally had some time to tinker with the ATtiny13A. I was going to build a board with the ATtiny13A processor, Voltage regulator and motor driver / H-bridge chip. However I noticed that I can get ready made motor controller boards from Ebay for less than what I would have to pay for the...
-
Quick update - I started to dust off the project and realized I had "misappropriated" the Arduino for another project as well :-/
Oh well, that processor board was overkill for this project anyway. I have been tinkering with Atmel's lower end processors, the ATtiny series, in particular the...
-
boy I'm glad I started this build log, sure will make it easier to resume the project
some day! The project is not dead by any means. I lost the H-bridge chip to another
project, but that can be replaced easily enough. I hope to be able to get back to
the project soon.
-ik
-
Sorry for the long hiatus guys, been busy with other
hobbies and family life, in general. I hope to be
able to blow the dust off the project and post some
more progress soon.
-ik
-
I second Crandell's suggestion about the garden soil. I have used water fractioning
to extract really fine material. You need 2 large buckets for this method. Put
a spadeful of soil in on bucket, then add water. Let the bucket
overflow to get rid of light floating bits - keep vigorously...
-
Hi Craig,
You have a nice big room for the layout! I am also a newbie but I can
tell you that your plan is really large for a starter layout. If you're like
me you're going to find out soon that your initial plan might not be
what you want in the long run. It is a good idea to start building...
-
Scratchbuilding a turntable: Correcting vane positions
Disclaimer
This is a construction journal, not a plan to be followed! If you are inspired
to build something after reading these articles, do so at your own risk. Take
the necessary precautions for safety. Working with powertools and...
-
Thanks for the information. I went out and photographed some actual
bridges locally which I guess are from about the same era as the turntable
I'm modelling. It seems the bridges are using some square profile cross ties
(maybe 8" x 8") and some rectangular profile ones (maybe 8 x 12). I will...
-
EFRX 109 undergoing field surgery
Since we're posting prototype photos:
Local short line needed to swap out the rear motor from their
switcher. Had a heavy crane to lift the engine up (see photo 1),
drove the rear truck from under the engine using a
"portable power pack" (i.e. a...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)