ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
F
I once had a craft book that gave instructions for using pint milk cartons to make houses for a Christmas village. Some of the designs used clay that you roll out, inscribe with a design and then bake to give the effect of a brick building and others used sandpaper cut into strips to indicate...
-
F
I was just in the thread on train movies and I thought of something else I’ve never seen in a model layout: a train robbery taking place or a movie crew filming a scene with a woman tied to the railroad tracks.
-
F
It might be Von Ryan’s Express. And Burt Lancaster was in a movie (simply called The Train, if I remember right) where he played a French railroad engineer who is put in charge of a train carrying paintings that the Germans had looted from Paris and were taking with them as they fled from the...
-
F
I watched a documentary one time that put a lot of the blame for the demise of the passenger rail industry on World War II. We transported so many soldiers and so much war materiel that by the end of the war our locomotives and passenger cars were literally worn out. But the war wasn't as...
-
F
I think I’ve seen cargo camels that operate the same way.
My idea for train scale slot cars just flew out the window.
-
F
My 5 years of high school German have worn off so I cannot follow the narration very well. But I wouldn't think the water would be all that hard to do in a large scale. Simply attach one end of the hose to a blower of some sort and attach light-weight string (silk?) to the end where the water...
-
F
Someone throwing a rock into a pond with ripples on the water.
A train that casts a shadow in the water as it goes over a bridge.
-
F
Can you get a sky-ride gondola like you’d see taking people from one mountain to another? For things like Leemax and Department 56 you can get a Santa Claus and sleigh that hangs on a wire and moves in a circle. But if you had a gondola set up you could have him go from one end of your layout...
-
F
Next time set up a video camera; it'd make a good horror movie.
-
F
I could see using this technique to make a domed roof, or something like London's Crystal Palace.
-
F
Make has a youtube video, which is where I first saw a vacuum former.
-
F
I have arthritis in my wrists and hands so it isn't always easy to hold scissors. And Scissors are not the best way to cut a long straight line.
I'm not so concerned with dulling a blade as I am with having a tool that securely holds the blade and a blade that won't break as soon as you put...
-
F
What abot fish jumping out of a pond?
I've never seen a school either- or for that matter just about any other civic building.
I've also never seen anything for an airport- probablly too hard to get it past the TSA.
-
F
My neighborhood used to have quite a few cats that liked to climb onto the flat roof of my house. They usualy climbed a nearby cedar tree and then jumped, but I saw one climb a ladder one day when I was doing some work on the roof. After I did some repairs part of my roof had a pitch and I...
-
F
But would like to:
A cat walking the ridgeline of a roof on a house.
A squirrel running along a powerline.
A political rally in a layout depicting some time in the past.
Slot cars that match the model train’s scale so both cars and train are moving. (I have seen normal size slot cars...
-
F
Has anyone here ever build their own vacuum forming apparatus? Would it be possible to use a vacuum former to make duplicates of the parts of plastic model kits?
Also, I have found on youtube instructions for making plastic sheets from cornstarch and glycerin. I wonder if you could use this...
-
F
Can someone recommend a cutting tool suitable for cutting paper? Several times I have purchased what I thought was decent X-acto type cutters only to find out they were garbage. I’ve done the same thing with razor-blade type cutters meant for sheetrock/drywall. Is there any particular brand...
-
F
I found out about this software from another youtube video just after I posted here.
-
F
I found a video on youtube from a Brit that makes model buildings using photographs of real structures. He starts with a photograph and then makes a plan by counting the number of structural elements used in the building- he counts bricks in a façade and assumes that they are standard-sized...
-
F
I’ve never had space before for a model layout but I am hoping to move in the near future so maybe I will have enough space to do something. So I am now returning to my interest in model trains after some time. Can you tell me what a laser kit is?
Also, has anyone ever used material like...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)