Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. O

    New To Model RR

    Since sound is so important I'll add my vote to HO scale. Adding sound decoders to HO locos is relatively simple. Also HO is the cheapest scale to build in and has the widest selection to choose from. Unless you're really cramped on space you should be able to work out a layout with decent...
  2. O

    New guy looking for a little advice

    Drew up an overview of my room with the layouts using XtrakCAD. Some parts are blank since I haven't quite gotten the hang of placing flex track yet. I also thought of what I'd like to do for my third layout. Something with a neighborhood to match the town on scenic ridge and I've always wanted...
  3. O

    N layout on a 4x8?

    Here's a copy of my layout plan. Just something to give you an idea of what you can achieve on 4x8 with n-scale. If you want something more than a simple roundy round while still being continuous on a 4x8 then N-scale is definately the way to go. If the complexity of the layout design doesn't...
  4. O

    New guy looking for a little advice

    Another question for you guys. I have a lot of Atlas switches with the above table remote switch machine (2700 & 2701, 2704 & 2705). How easy and practical would it be to convert these to work with under the table switch machines? Also do you need the deluxe version switch machine or will the...
  5. O

    Random Track Plan thoughts From the mind of Hanson!

    Looks nice. Man I wish I hadn't gone and bought all that code 80 sectional track a few years ago. :mad:
  6. O

    New guy question about DCC and auto reversing

    Just thought I'd post an update. I bought the Zephyr Starter System and am currently in the process of retrofitting my locos with DZ125 decoders (proving to be a slight pain). I also bought the Scenic Ridge kit for experience and a place for the town kit since there won't be enough space on the...
  7. O

    New guy looking for a little advice

    Just thought I'd give an update on the layout. I did end up buying Scenic Ridge and I'll be building that part first to build up some experience. After I've finished that layout then I'll start on the modified N-18 layout. The pic is of both. I'm finding out now that Woodland Scenics wants me to...
  8. O

    HO vs N gauge. need advice

    It is possible to stick sound typically in the tender for n-scale steam locos, with diesels it's typically more of a hassle. Corresponding HO and N track, loco's and rolling stock are about the same cost-wise but since you can fit more into a given space with N you'll end up spending more most...
  9. O

    Layout Help Needed

    I recommend downloading either Atlas RTS 8.0 or XTrkCAD software and playing around with whatever designs sound fun or interesting to you. With n-scale you probably could fit a more complex layout in that space if you wish or use a simple HO layout of that design. From my research on DCC I chose...
  10. O

    New N scale track plan HELP needed

    I recommend downloading either Atlas RTS 8.0 or XTrkCAD software and playing around with whatever designs sound fun or interesting to you. With n-scale you probably could fit a more complex layout in that space if you wish or use a simple HO layout of that design. From my research on DCC I chose...
  11. O

    DCC uncoupler!

    Nice. Something like this just might convince me to switch to HO, if they can't implement this with N that is which I seriously hope they do.
  12. O

    New guy question about DCC and auto reversing

    Thanks for the help. One more question. For retrofitting my locos what benefit would 4 function decoder chips have over the cheaper 2 function decoders? I'm sure sound decoders would be pretty difficult to stick into n-scale locos so other than that and toggling lights is there anything else...
  13. O

    New guy question about DCC and auto reversing

    I guess I should've provided a little more info with this one. I originally bought the track (code 80 atlas) to build the original layout design a few years ago but lost interest and never did anything with it. This also included an atlas turntable. I recently became interested again in building...
  14. O

    New guy question about DCC and auto reversing

    The roundhouse will have a set polarity wired to the two rails which won't pose any problem in one orientation but say I run a loco onto it and then turn it around. Coming off of that turntable the two rails would be switched around thus creating a possible short when the loco moves off of the...
  15. O

    New guy question about DCC and auto reversing

    I'll be building the layout in the included pic. I've designated each wired block section (A, B, C, and D), the potential reverse polarity issues in red and approx. where I plan to put insulated rail joiners in black. I'm looking into getting a Digitrax Zephyr system for this but from what I...
  16. O

    New guy looking for a little advice

    I also have the Woodland Scenics Town Kit though I don't know if I'll be able to fit them in on this particular layout. I'm considering buying the Scenic Ridge Kit and putting that together first for practice. What do you guys think?
  17. O

    New guy looking for a little advice

    Here's a pic of the layout. I modified it a bit to decrease the overall grade of the connection ramps and increased the minimum turn radii to 11" so my 4-8-4 can run on it. Since I bought a turntable back then I figured I might as well make use of it with the extra space I have. Let me know what...
  18. O

    New guy looking for a little advice

    I recently became interested in model trains again after a few years. I originally was interested in building the Susquehanna Valley (N-18) Layout from the Atlas N-gauge layout book and bought pretty much most of the track to build it. Much to my despair I recently discovered atlas came out with...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top