Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. T

    New user here!

    Hopefully one day I'll get around to actually modeling. Maybe, maybe not. I tend to have issues getting the motivation to get started on new anything, much less the sort of projects that take financial outlay! ;)
  2. T

    Railroad history, and modeling ideas

    I feel like, especially on a modern layout, if you're going for a "prototype" look, you should definitely have one (or a few) "out of service" industries. Because in real life, sometimes just to get to one industry that's active, you'll have to pass one, two, three or even more out-of-service...
  3. T

    railroad terminology

    Funny... I work for CSX, but never heard "outlaw" used before. Usually instead we'll hear something like, say... I'll be sitting in the Yardmaster's office, he's watching the screen and will say something like "697's dead at 5 and he's not even at Monroe yet. Y'all might have to go drag him in."...
  4. T

    Grain Mill Operation?

    We work a large Archer Daniels Midland mill out of Pinoca Yard where I work. It's connected to us (CSX) on one and and NS at the other, because the mill is built around a diamond. Pic: What we do is leave 6 cars on each track on our side of the spur. One car inside the dump shed and 5 cars...
  5. T

    my son is one lucky kid

    Yes. We're in a period of very high retirements right now. There's a HUGE glut of trainmen at / reaching retirement age. The only exception to this is coal country... the whole damn world is furloughed up there right now.
  6. T

    my son is one lucky kid

    Does BNSF not have their own school? With CSX you get hired then they send you down to Atlanta for 6 weeks at their "REDI" (Railroad Education and Development Institute) and then you go off to your terminal for howevermany weeks of on-the-job training. Was 9 weeks for me, but I heard guys...
  7. T

    my son is one lucky kid

    Depends on the yard you're at. At least where I work, some guys with high seniority sit on the Switchman's Board just because it pays "enough" and they prefer only working ~3 days a week at most, even if it pays a bit less than working a scheduled 5 day a week job. There's a couple of 2nd...
  8. T

    New user here!

    No one special... don't model myself, at least not yet, but I do like looking around at everyone else's work! Also a Conductor with CSX out of Pinoca Yard in Charlotte. TINY place for such a big city. Intermodal ramp up top, freight yard at the bottom: A bit closer in on the freight...
  9. T

    WPF 3/1 to 3/8 '13

    Hah, I can't help but think I might speak for CSXPAID as well when I say... I'm not sure about that "dream job" title. ;) Only coming up one my one-year here shortly... I can't imagine ten, much less 30! Of course I'm the bottom man too, which doesn't help matters. :o




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top