ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
I use a "screen shot". Here's how:
1) Press and hold your 'Shift' key, and while holding down it tap your 'PRT-SC' key. This will put an image of whatever is on your screen into memory. (My 'PRT-SC' key is the left one in the little cluster of keys above my INS, HOME and PAGE-UP keys...
-
Okay - One more stab at it..........
I'll 'clean up' the look of those tracks on the left when laying the flex....
I'll post a 3D image when done. (You really get a better feel of the look with it.)
-
That was the joke - she always says ESPN instead of ESP...... :p
I'm using Atlas code 55 and Scarm for the design. Because of the way Scarm works I'm using 'snap' track while designing, but I will actually use flex when I build it. Doing it this way shows me what the radius of each curve is...
-
Bruce,
My daughter would say you have ESPN - very similar to what I'm working on!
I should be able to post a new plan sometime on Thursday........
Thank you........
-
Okay - I'm working on some changes which will include your ideas. It may be a while before I get a chance to post a new plan, as I'm very busy over the next day or two.....
Stay tuned......
-
I'm learning a lot here, and I'm really appreciating it.
Been staring at my plan....... The green siding came into the plan as mainly an arrival/departure track. It can also be used as a siding obviously. The original plan always had trains running counter clockwise.
But the A/D idea was...
-
So, your're suggesting an 'actual train' be able to back it's consist onto one or more yard tracks and then be able to escape out the yard lead?
-
The same as all the other yard tracks, by pulling and pushing with the switcher?
Pulling from the string left on the a/d track and pushing cars into the yard tracks. To build a train I would pull cars from the yard tracks and push them onto the a/d track.
-
Back in? Are you looking at post #73? :)
-
But there is no where to connect that track at the other side of the tunnel without shortening the tunnel too much.....
Also - Can't trains entering and departing use the A/D track?
Believe me, I appreciate any and all advice, and I'm not trying to be negative - I just can't visualize...
-
Bringing the yard lead (yellow) down and around will be difficult given the space. I may have to get rid of the staging track under the mountain to do that.
However - my plan is to have trains pull into the yard area using the arrival/departure track (green) from either direction, drop the...
-
-
I'll definitely stick an escape track in there somewhere.
My thinking before your suggestion was that the arrival/departure track (green) would allow a train to drop it's cars off on that track (from either direction) and my yard switcher could then go to work.
Having both gives me more...
-
Nice idea - I see what you are trying to do, but I can't make it fit without going to a 10" radius on both sides of it.........
-
Exactly :)
New Lead track (yellow): 34.8"
New A/D track (green): 41.84"
Longest yard track (cyan): 30"
Not sure exactly which turnout you meant, so I took a stab at it.
The new tunnel entrances will be lined up on the actual layout. Scarm doesn't let you 'slide' them around.
I'll put...
-
Thanks for the replies......
Here is my latest version. As you can see I've already changed it to a single track main.
1) The shortest (at the bottom) is 15.25", the longest (in the middle) is 30".
2) (yellow) 33"
3) New A/D (green) is 52" and can also be used as a siding when running two...
-
Otiscnj - Thank you very much! I will take a close look at this. Again - Thank you very much for the time you put into this!!
-
I came up with an alternate plan with a double ended yard (suggested by otiscnj)
It eliminates a lot of backing up for sure, but adds more of a spaghetti bowl look.
Pros and Cons between A & B?
-
I can't help you with your paint question, but I wanted to say you have some fantastic photos on your web site!
Great job! :D
-
I just came in from clearing 32" from my driveway and walkways (Uxbridge, MA). Now I plan to start my benchwork!
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)