Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. Diesel-Electric

    My simple bare-bones around the room shelf layout

    Hello Logandsawman, I really don't think so, like I say this is a 'bare-bones' layout just for running trains. But who knows, I may change me mind. Thanks for the offer anyway. Regards, DE.
  2. Diesel-Electric

    Norfolk Southern SD40E pull local trains?

    Hello there, Around two weeks ago I got an Athearn new products announcement. In that one of the new products were their RTR SD50 locomotives. Among the new road numbers was Norfolk Southern's SD40E (3 road numbers), and upon further research and seen pictures of them I couldn't help but...
  3. Diesel-Electric

    My simple bare-bones around the room shelf layout

    Thanks logandsawman for the compliment. You are right, actually I would have left more space between the track and the wall. But the fact that I wanted to maintain 24" radius curves, and also wanting to have some sidings and spurs while maintaining the 24" radius and space restraints, the...
  4. Diesel-Electric

    Am I the only one....

    Hey People, Just to let you know I posted some pictures of my 'bare-bones layout'. See in Virtual layout tour 'My bare-bones around the room shelf layout'. Regards, DE
  5. Diesel-Electric

    My simple bare-bones around the room shelf layout

    More pictures (Bridge details): 1st and 2nd pictures : North side and East side end sections with bridge removed. 3rd and 4th pictures : Same as other two, but bridge section in place. I should mention, that the wires you see are whats connected (via connectors) when the bridge section is...
  6. Diesel-Electric

    My simple bare-bones around the room shelf layout

    More pictures: 1st picture: Bridge section removed, looking from North side of layout to East, what You see is a 49" drop! 2nd picture: Same shot with bridge section in place. 3rd picture: Bridge storage when not in use. More pictures next post.
  7. Diesel-Electric

    My simple bare-bones around the room shelf layout

    Hey logandsawman, Well, originally I was going to nail track directly to the wood, but after asking for opinions on this site, I was advised to put down road bed. I forget why, but I did noticed that one can level the track better when having some form of road bed. Also, it reduces the noise...
  8. Diesel-Electric

    My simple bare-bones around the room shelf layout

    I will be putting up more pictures up tomorrow or day after. So keep looking, and like I said, constructive criticisms and advice are welcomed. TC, DE.
  9. Diesel-Electric

    My simple bare-bones around the room shelf layout

    More pictures: 1st picture: South shelf section I plan to end the previously mentioned spur. 2nd picture: Point at which South shelf narrows down to 4" to go behind wardrobe. 3rd picture: Same shot at different angle. 4th picture: Same shot at different angle. More to come!
  10. Diesel-Electric

    My simple bare-bones around the room shelf layout

    More pictures: 1st picture, where North and West shelf meet. BTW minimum radius on the layout is 24". 2nd picture, where West and South shelf meet, as mentioned in my previous post, the spur which comes from the siding, will continue inside the track seen. 3rd picture, probably my...
  11. Diesel-Electric

    My simple bare-bones around the room shelf layout

    Hello People, I managed to get some grainy pictures (couldn't get a descent camera) of my 'bare-bone' layout. Please excuse the mess :rolleyes:. It is nothing at all compared to the layouts I see in this site and others, but I thought I'll share some pictures with you good people. Some...
  12. Diesel-Electric

    Am I the only one....

    Hey, clayguthrie, I'll be glad to show you, but give me some time as I don't really have a good camera at the moment. When I do post some pictures of my layout I'll let You know, Regards,
  13. Diesel-Electric

    Bachmann SD40-2

    Then that should clear my doubts about the Bachmann SD40-2.:) Thanks for the information. I will be then purchasing one soon. Regards,
  14. Diesel-Electric

    Am I the only one....

    No, you are not alone:), I too just like running the trains and watching them go by. Just completed the single track 'main line' on my around the room HO scale shelf layout on which I run short local Norfolk Southern trains. I do plan to have one siding and maybe two or three spurs. It has no...
  15. Diesel-Electric

    Bachmann SD40-2

    No, nothing wrong with You :), I have forgotten to mention the scale: HO scale. Thanks for the reply! Regards,
  16. Diesel-Electric

    Bachmann SD40-2

    Hello there! People, I'm interested in getting a Bachmann SD40-2 with all-wheel-drive. 1. I need to know how the locomotive is (equipped with dual mode DCC chip) running on a DC layout? 2. How is the pulling power of this locomotive? That is, would it pull around 12-14 50' freight cars with...
  17. Diesel-Electric

    Athearn GP38-2 -- some info needed

    Hey, eberners, You don't have to get a new locomotive just to get the under frame. This it available on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Athearn-Parts-GP38-2-GP40-2-GP50-GP60-Frame-Short-Tank-/190790681763?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item2c6c02c4a3 It is for the locomotives with short fuel tanks...
  18. Diesel-Electric

    Athearn GP-38 DC lighting issues

    Hey cfinn, First welcome! I too have two Athearn GP38s, if you are good at electronics and with a soldering iron, I would advice you to install LEDs in place of the incandescent bulb on your locomotive. You can get 100 3mm warm white LEDs for under $10 on Ebay and use the appropriate...
  19. Diesel-Electric

    what do I look for when purchasing a locomotive?

    Hello there, Assuming your going to model in HO, and since You are going to use a digitrax controller (DCC) and you don't want to go cheap either, if you are going modern I can recommend the Atlas Trainman+ NRE 3GS21B Genset. Here are 3 CSX road numbers available at Model Train Stuff...
  20. Diesel-Electric

    Need some ideas on a lift out/bridge section.......

    Hello there, I need a little help, this question is for modelers who have around the room shelf layouts: I'll be making a shelf layout soon (consisting mainly of 9 1/2" planks mounted on the wall with metal L brackets). I'm one who prefers to watch the train go by and therefore it will...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top