Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. P

    Well I am new to the board ...

    Hi, Aerojet. I'm new to the forum too. Unlike you, however, I'm also new to the hobby. Your scenery looks great! My layout is a long way from needing scenery - sometimes I'm glad it is :D.
  2. P

    Operations software

    Thanks, Frederick. It will likely be some time before I'm ready to use operations software but I think it's another great advancement in the hobby. Remember your offer when I'm asking you about this in a year ;)
  3. P

    Operations software

    Thanks, Frederick. I will look into those. I've got plenty of time to do my research :D
  4. P

    Operations software

    Sounds great. Now I just have to finish the track, wiring and buy a couple of thousand dollars of loco's and cars...might be a while:D
  5. P

    Operations software

    To those of you who use JMRI; does an an operating session pick up where the previous one left off? thanks
  6. P

    Operations software

    Great info, Dave. Thanks. I haven't heard of those others. If JMRI is free, that's probably the one I'll try first ;) You may or may not know Arthur Houston has a multiple part series on YouTube on JMRI. From watching those I thought it looked complicated so I'm encouraged to hear you didn't...
  7. P

    Operations software

    Firstly, I apologize if I didn't post this in the right place. My layout is a long way from needing any such software but I've been looking into it because I find it very interesting. I first found JMRI and more recently, RailOP. The only website I found for RailOP seems like it may be...
  8. P

    Hello

    I'm new to the hobby and this is the only forum I use so I wouldn't know you... but I love the name! Welcome
  9. P

    Turnouts and nail polish?

    i applied nail polish but because it was my first time I didn't put much on. It didn't work. So, I figured I had nothing to lose so I put considerably more on top and both sides of all rails near the frog. I thought that did the trick until I tried going through at very slow speed...a short...
  10. P

    Turnouts and nail polish?

    That's true, Gene. I'll look into seeing what is involved with the permanent fix. I paid only $2 for the nail polish and it should last a while.
  11. P

    Turnouts and nail polish?

    Thanks,guys. I applied nail polish last night and will try it when I get home today. When It wears off or if it doesn't work I'll see about the permanent fix. Thanks for for all the help
  12. P

    Turnouts and nail polish?

    I put a very small piece of tape overlapping the frog and where the closure rails almost come into contact with one another adjacent to frog. I suspect a metal wheel was touching both the positive and negative closure rail.
  13. P

    Turnouts and nail polish?

    I held off on the nail polish and applied scotch tape at the point which rails of opposite polarity almost touch (saw this idea online). Not it a permanent fix, of course, but have not had any shorts since. Now, best way to address the problem...nail polish that will wear off and need to...
  14. P

    Turnouts and nail polish?

    Thanks, Joe. I haven't got around to applying the nail polish yet so I can't say whether or not that was the problem. I do know there is no reverse loop. I just got home from buying the nail polish. I will let you know how that worked. By the way, anyone know how long it takes nail polish to...
  15. P

    Turnouts and nail polish?

    I'm new to this but the dcc system turns off and on again until I remove the loco. Then it stays on. I'm not aware of anything else but a short that this indicates but again, I'm new to this and electrical is not my thing. It it is a snap switch but the frog is plastic. My other turnouts are...
  16. P

    Turnouts and nail polish?

    Thanks, Genetk. My trouble shooting seems to show it only happens when it passes through the end of the frog farthest from the points on the "straight route". I'll paint it today and let it dry. I'll post tomorrow to let you know how I made out. Thanks for for your help.
  17. P

    Turnouts and nail polish?

    Atlas #4 with insulated frog.
  18. P

    Turnouts and nail polish?

    My system shorts when my loco goes through the frog of my new turnout at slow speeds but works fine at faster speeds. I suspect the wheel is contacting rails of opposing polarity. My guess is that the the loco's wheels are not out of gauge because it works fine through all other turnouts. I...
  19. P

    Just started wiring my first dcc layout

    Thanks. It's not a big yard so I think I'll spend an afternoon putting feeders on all three ends of the turnouts. I just wanted to make sure there isn't a point at which I would be doing more harm than good. Also, I was just about to start a new thread here because I have an issue with a...
  20. P

    Just started wiring my first dcc layout

    Does anyone else have any suggestions regarding placement of feeders at crossovers and yard ladders?




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top