Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. A

    Alclad2 Step-by-Step: Realistic Stainless Steel Finish for Passenger Rail Cars

    No problema Bob, I appreciate that you brought it up as the downside about a keyboard is that it's difficult to convey specific feelings or emotions. When I re-read my post, I felt that it wasn't what I was trying to convey so I shortened it. I enjoy writing but try to keep my wife's advice in...
  2. A

    Alclad2 Step-by-Step: Realistic Stainless Steel Finish for Passenger Rail Cars

    Hi Bob, Thanks for your comment. I went back and edited that post. I don't work for Alclad and didn't want to come off as a salesman. I just really enjoy taking scale SS passenger cars with factory silver paint jobs and hopping them up to a realistic stainless steel look. Modelers have...
  3. A

    Alclad2 Step-by-Step: Realistic Stainless Steel Finish for Passenger Rail Cars

    I've been asked before which type of airbrush is better for applying Alclad's natural metal finishes, single action or dual action. I've often stated that as long as it's a quality airbrush that is clean, parts are in good working order, and atomizes well.......the unit that performs well for...
  4. A

    Alclad2 Step-by-Step: Realistic Stainless Steel Finish for Passenger Rail Cars

    Hi guys, I received a request to post an Alclad2 application thread. I hadn't posted here since I see familiar names from other forums and assumed everyone's seen my metalizing threads. I'm happy to share and hope this will be helpful. I've been researching the appearances of stainless...
  5. A

    Emd sdp40f or f45?

    Glad to see other SDP40f fans here. Note: Several modelers and I have been emailing Athearn and the other manufacturers to produce the flat-nosed version of the SDP40f, of which was the majority of the units Amtrak had. Would be super if others joined in. The manufacturers do read our emails...
  6. A

    Dcc sound n a sdp40f

    Guys, just a quick note. Although there is a slight similarity in appearance, that is actually an Athearn FP45 painted in Amtrak's scheme. As far as sound, the prototype SDP40fs used turbocharged 16 cylinder EMD 645 series engines. The first horns used were Leslie SL4T horns, usually split in...
  7. A

    How to weather a Black Diesel?

    Wheeler63, Excellent job! I'm going to be repainting a P2K E7 shell in Seaboard Coast Line's black and yellow "Bumble Bee" scheme. Your photo and technique is excellent reference material.
  8. A

    EMD E & F unit interiors

    Bob, I remember that! I was in grade school during the late-60s early-70s and remember seeing that distinct color on the walls of the auditorium of the school I attended growing up in New York. Amazing the stuff we remember. Nowadays it seems that just about anything goes. (I've even seen...
  9. A

    Sealant question...

    Yes, these photos are from 2007 ( I think). The Metroliner was done just last year. I did a batch of four. Goal is to have the Metroliners in the Penn Central scheme. I hope to have some new photos uploaded soon. Glad to read that you're detailing the interiors. Can you post some photos? I...
  10. A

    EMD E & F unit interiors

    Just to add a little more info. The cab interiors on most EMD 1st generation units were painted in "Seafoam Green". If I'm not mistaken, I think you can see this in the Athearn Genesis F-units. Some of you will remember this: It's basically the same greenish color that many school bus...
  11. A

    Sealant question...

    Hi Amtrak 207. Thank you for your kind words. I hope to be helpful as I enjoy modeling passenger trains. Have you tried sealing your cars yet? If you haven't yet but are about to, a simple experiment to test the potential results would be to mask off a small section of a car, perhaps one of...
  12. A

    Sealant question...

    Hi guys, First, regarding the Walthers cars, do not use Dull Cote as the finish will be ruined. If you feel that you must seal the Superliners or the BLI metalized cars you can apply a very thin coat of FUTURE or a quality Clear, such as the ones I mention below. I've been experimenting with...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top