Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. B

    How important is the programming track

    I found a schematic for the LocoBuffer II and I see that it is quite a complex unit and I agree, I think I would rather just get one of the Digitrax PR3 interfaces.
  2. B

    How important is the programming track

    Hi Rex, I have not tried DecoderPro yet as I have been busy with various other aspects in preparation for DCC operation. I also need to sort out a suitable interface and then will give DecoderPro a try. Does anyone know if there is a circuit around to build an interface which will work...
  3. B

    How important is the programming track

    Hi all, After the input from all you guys and reading lots of articles on the different systems, I settled for the Super Chief and have been running it for about a month or so. So far, I am very happy with the system and am very pleased I decided on that system and one with a programming...
  4. B

    Purpose of Catch (Derail) Turnout

    While browsing through the Peco track catalog, I came across this interesting turnout - the SL-84 which is described as a Catch (Derail) turnout. I was trying to fathom out what it would be used for as it only appears to switch one rail. Any ideas? :confused:
  5. B

    Loco comes to life on its own

    Thanks to all for the advice. I set the value of CV29 to 34 for all my locos which enables 4 digit addressing and also disables DC working and that appears to have fixed the problem.
  6. B

    Which wheels for OLD Athearn Locos?

    I have a number of the older Athearn locos (about 10-15 years old) and have read that it makes a large improvement if one replaces the standard Athearn wheels with nickel silver wheels like those made by Northwest Short Line. I would appreciate your comments on this and if a change is...
  7. B

    Loco comes to life on its own

    Being a newbie to DCC, this had me really confused. So far, all I have changed in the decoders is the loco address. I will try the CV29 change cos after my original post, I had a second loco give a single burst like the other one was doing. I guess if I ever want to run the locos on DC I will...
  8. B

    Loco comes to life on its own

    I have a Walthers Trainline loco which I have fitted a TCS T1 decoder into with LED lights. If this loco is left sitting on the track while other trains are running, it occasionally switches on its headlight and lurches forward an inch or 2 and then goes back to sleep. It does this...
  9. B

    How important is the programming track

    Which programming interface best for DecoderPro I have been reading up on JMRI DecoderPro in conjunction with the Digitrax system and just wondered which interface would be best for interfacing between DecoderPro and the SuperChief. There appear to be a few options inculding the Digitrax PR-2...
  10. B

    Athearn F7A/B Detailing

    Hi Jim, Thanks for the info on the number boards - I don't know if I can see numbers that small to fit in the hole left after cutting out the number board :o . I cannot find the original source of the photo on 342 C so cannot give the date. I checked Railpictures.net and all of the photos...
  11. B

    Athearn F7A/B Detailing

    Hi Jim, thanks for the feedback. I was not aware that the detail kits were so long in the tooth as I only bought mine recently - they are still available from Walthers. :eek: According to the photographic material, the ATSF F7's all appear to have had the grab irons on the nose. There are...
  12. B

    Athearn F7A/B Detailing

    I recently got my hands on a set of the old Athearn F7A & B units. I decided that the locos looked very plain and needed some extra detailing so I purchased a Walthers dress-up kit for the 2 and got to work. After doing quite a bit of research and some very fine drilling, I think the locos look...
  13. B

    How important is the programming track

    The main reason for me looking to buy the larger unit (Super CHief) up front has to to with the overall economy of the exercise. I can buy the S/C here in SA for the equivalent of about $400 - that gives me 5amp capability and a DT400 hand throttle compared to the Zephyr with 2.5amp and no hand...
  14. B

    How important is the programming track

    Hi Chip, That was part of my reasoning behind deciding on the Super Chief. I did the sums and the cost of adding a DT-400 and additional booster to later increase the Zephyr's capacity made it a more expensive option than buying the S/C up front. I realise that one can add throttles...
  15. B

    How important is the programming track

    Thanks for all the input - it has helped me to undertsand the need (or not) for the programming track and its functions. While I understand that there are many manufacturers of DCC systems, I have pretty much decided that I will stick with Digitrax as it is the only one which has decent backup...
  16. B

    How important is the programming track

    Hi Josh/Chip, I intend to use this on a small home layout - probably 6x8 feet and will likely run between 3&5 locos max at any time. The main differences I see between the EMpire Builder and Zephyr is the lower current rating on the Zephyr, no included hand throttle with the Zephyr and no...
  17. B

    How important is the programming track

    I am looking at the various options for a dcc system and am quite keen on the Digitrax Super Empire Builder. However, I see that it does not support a programming track read/write function. What is the requirement for this facility and how important would you rate it as a criterion for choosing...
  18. B

    Scratch built freight house

    Thanks to all of you for the compliments and suggestions. Even though I have done 99% of the work, I admittedly have a very good teacher and a good bunch of advice from all you guys on the forum. A very good mate of mine (Rod Kincaid), who is an expert at scratchbuilding, has given me lots of...
  19. B

    Scratch built freight house

    Jim, I agree about the colour - the photos do not do it justice as they make it look very blue. I was in 2 minds whether to actually even post the pics due to that. The photos were taken indoors with a flash so will try and take some during daylight with natural light. The building is acutally...
  20. B

    Scratch built freight house

    Have now added the windows and doors but not weathered those yet. Again, comments/suggestions on the window colours would be appreciated. Also just added the few hand painted figures and bench for some life.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top