Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. W

    Are Life-Like's current train sets the spiritual successor of Tyco's?

    That's understandable. I also checked out a book from my city's main public library, "How to Run a Railroad," by Harvey Weiss published in 1977: It's mostly aimed toward the novice, but I think it's pretty informative anyways. The author's layout mostly consists of AHM and brown box-era Tyco...
  2. W

    Are Life-Like's current train sets the spiritual successor of Tyco's?

    Looking at the various HO-scale train sets Life-Like is currently offering made me think of something: http://www.walthers.com/exec/page/lifelike2010/lifelike_sets They actually do remind me quite a bit of Tyco's train set offerings of the late 1980s and early 1990s, but then again...
  3. W

    A sample of Life-Like's train set offerings in the mid/late-1990s...

    Life-Like's regular Code-100 track isn't so great. I recently replaced the rusted steel rails on my old Life-Like operating rail crossing gate with nickel-silver rails and that really helped boost performance (for the trains, not the crossing gate; I need to fix that!) The main problem with the...
  4. W

    A sample of Life-Like's train set offerings in the mid/late-1990s...

    A while back I found my old "Life-Like Basics for Beginners: 10th Edition" booklet that came with my "Railroad Empire" Life-Like HO-scale train set that pretty much started my railroad layout (a deluxe top-of-the-line set, same as the "Diesel Driver" currently offered but with a Santa Fe GP38-2...
  5. W

    Tyco crossing signal help

    I recently got an interesting vintage accessory for my HO-scale model railroad layout. It is the early 1980s Tyco lighted crossing signal: It is designed so when a train passes over it, the lights flash in an alternating manner like a real crossing (albeit rather fast), and a small wind-up...
  6. W

    Upgrade couplers on Life-Like trains?

    I plan to initially convert a few of my more frequently-used locomotives, a few freight cars and my PRR and ATSF cabooses. I may make a couple of converter cars, too (my ATSF GP38-2 lo-nose dummy might not be a bad idea, as I usually like to run it behind my powered hi-nose ATSF GP38-2.)
  7. W

    Upgrade couplers on Life-Like trains?

    OK, thanks. The Walthers TrainLine locomotives do look interesting. They even have a red/silver Warbonnett ATSF GP9! (Call me old fashioned, but I like model railroad stuff from the 1970s to the 1990s.) I also don't use the Power-Loc track on my layout anymore. I have since switched to Atlas...
  8. W

    Upgrade couplers on Life-Like trains?

    I have a lot of Life-Like locomotives and rolling stock that still use horn-hook couplers. Now I'm currently somewhat of a budget model railroader, which is why I usually go for Life-Like's non-proto stuff (I guess because many of them are somewhat retro?) I have been using the horn-hook...
  9. W

    Classic HO-scale "operating crossing gates"

    This is a type of accessory I always found interesting. It's a very simple premise: there is a track section with a small weight mechanism so when the train goes over it, the crossing gate lowers as the train passes over it, then raises up again when the train has passed. Now the result usually...
  10. W

    Lionel 2035 on Gumby!

    Here is the classic 1957 Gumby episode "Train Trouble," which prominently features two model trains in it. One is some kind of 0-4-0 HO-scale steam locomotive; IDK what company it is. The other I DO know what it is; it's an O-scale 2-6-4 post-war Lionel steam locomotive! (The cab number is 2035...
  11. W

    Older Life-Like train sets updated/renamed?

    I was recently going through the HO Scale Train Resource website and the older 10th edition of the "Basics for Beginners" model railroading booklet (which I got with my "Railroad Empire" set almost a decade ago), I noticed that some of the older Life-Like Products HO-scale train sets have either...
  12. W

    O scale Loinel in Gumby

    Again I apologize for this thread bump, but here are a few more Gumby episodes with model trains in them... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pmf5SZM78k This one is "Point of Honor." The train is first seen at 2:17. Gumby tries to run over Prickle using an American Flyer-manufactured PRR...
  13. W

    O-scale trains on "Davey and Goliath"

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-3KpN1ot3Y The trains are first shown at 7:00. First one looks like an undercoated Lionel diesel of some sort pushing a boxcar. Then Davey climbs into an NB refrigerator car and gets trapped inside. The steam engine pulling the train Davey hops on first appears...
  14. W

    O scale Loinel in Gumby

    Like I said, I downloaded it from a torrent. I could send you the episode if you want (PM me for info about it)
  15. W

    O scale Loinel in Gumby

    I apologize for the thread bump, but here are some neat screencaps of more classic Gumby episodes with model trains in them. These are NOT on YouTube (I downloaded them from a torrent, all of them have their original soundtracks intact as well). This batch of pics are from the short "Gumby...
  16. W

    O scale Loinel in Gumby

    Gumby had a LOT of model trains in it. Here are other episodes I recall... "Toy Crazy/Toy Joy" - At one point when Gumby's exploring around, he slides past the same Marx train from "Little Lost Pony." Then later Gumby finds an HO-scale Tyco train set with a Pennsylvania Railroad 0-4-0 steam...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top