Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. Dudepants

    Starting over

    Here's with a change to the baseboard (still can't figure it out perfectly but you get the idea):
  2. Dudepants

    Starting over

    Ah, thanks for the SCARM tips! I'll see if I can re-create my baseboard so it's clearer. I'm doing HO since my hands are a little shaky. When i was first looking at the hobby I considered it, but when I saw N scale in person I figured it'd be beyond my skill level.
  3. Dudepants

    Starting over

    Thanks for the tip Ozarks, this will be a shelf layout, just couldn't draw in the operating space in the middle with SCARM. Basically each side will be about 18" if there's enough room. I would totally go multi-level like you're describing, I think I might be reaching the peak for budget with...
  4. Dudepants

    Starting over

    Changed the layout a touch based on a few recommendations. I think this will make me happy and it looks like I should still have plenty of room for scenery. Hoping to get to start building the bench work today but of course the wife has me working on other projects!
  5. Dudepants

    Starting over

    Not yet, still saving the cash and you guys keep adding more cost to the pile, ha!
  6. Dudepants

    Starting over

    Ha! Too funny! Well, I'm going to add a few things suggested by y'all and get to work tomorrow building the benchwork. Really looking forward to it! Thanks for all your guidance, really appreciate it.
  7. Dudepants

    Starting over

    I like those ideas, thanks Tony. I think I will incorporate some of that too. I would agree that my plan does look a little too symmetrical which is mostly due to my lack of experience using SCARM. Also, since I can't draw out the blank space in the middle of the layout for operating in, I...
  8. Dudepants

    Starting over

    Ah, thank you for the advice Iron Horseman, I will do that. That does look much better.
  9. Dudepants

    Starting over

    Ah, I was wondering how I should do that. I'll definitely be using that same technique.
  10. Dudepants

    Starting over

    Awesome, thanks Jeff, that does help a bunch! I have to agree with Tony, looks really nice and clean!!
  11. Dudepants

    Starting over

    Ah, thanks for the pointers Jeff, I think I will lengthen those spurs, especially since ti looks like space will allow. Do you happen to have a couple shots of your layout I could look at for reference? I don't think my elevation changes will be several inches, but I'd like to see what you've...
  12. Dudepants

    Old rusted track attempt...

    thats awesome!
  13. Dudepants

    Starting over

    Thanks Tony. Yeah originally I was planning on a 9x6' area, so along with changing some of the turnouts, I expanded the bench work borders to reflect the real 9x6.5' size. Looks like I will have a bit more room than I thought!
  14. Dudepants

    Starting over

    Alright, what do you think of this?
  15. Dudepants

    Starting over

    Ah, good call, thanks for the pointer. I'll make a few changes and repost to see what ya'll think. Thanks gents!
  16. Dudepants

    Starting over

    HA! OK, ok!! I'm pulling the trigger!! ;)
  17. Dudepants

    Starting over

    Ah, good point. I'll make sure I leave some space, giving it a more dynamic look is a goal from my last layout. Once I start drawing it out on the benchwork I feel like I'll know if I need to move something around. I really like that siding along the bottom of the plan you posted, maybe I can...
  18. Dudepants

    Starting over

    Awesome, thanks for the tips KJ, I like the sidings on that plan you attached. Actually mine is basically a similar (yet more simple) version: should leave me enough space in the middle to move around. I think I might change it a bit more with your suggestions. If anyone else has ideas I'm...
  19. Dudepants

    The wife's HO Atlas layout...

    Digging the tunnel Tony, looks like it's going to turn out really nice. So, with the addition of the foam pieces you added, will you plaster over the whole thing using plaster cloth or straight up plaster? Can't wait to get your review of the Peco track too.
  20. Dudepants

    ledzeppelinfan1's Layout Journal...

    Looking great! I love the ballasting in the second pic. Also, really like how each scene does tie together. It's really inspiring, love following your progress!




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top