Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. D

    Maybe a dumb question but

    will a engine that has a dcc decoder already installed work with a dc power pack/system or do I have to get a dcc system to get it to run? Thanks
  2. D

    Thanks for all the highway ideas

    plastic Maybe a dumb question but when you say signs from Wal-Mart what do you mean? FOR SALE signs and stuff like that or others? Thanks!
  3. D

    Thanks for all the highway ideas

    Sorry I did not post sooner but thankyou for all of the great ideas and pics. I did some testing with drywall mud. Not to bad but I think I will go the styrene rout. My question is where can I buy sheets of it? I have no local hobby shop. I do have a Hobby Lobby close by but I have not had a...
  4. D

    Atlas Trainman Chicago South Shore/SB question

    I just saw on ebay an Atlas TM GP38-2 painted in the orange CSS/SB line. It does not say that it is custom painted and it looks factory. Does anyone know if Atlas offers these painted from the factory and if so is the trainman line junk or alright. Thanks!
  5. D

    Ideas wanted for making a highway

    road Not a problem. I read the first thread and I called my local Hobby Lobby and they carry the exact product that the step by step article talked about. I liked what I saw and I am glad that I can get it locally.I will give it a test run. Thanks,Mark
  6. D

    Ideas wanted for making a highway

    I have some ideas but I am looking for others. I have about a 15 foot stretch on my layout were the track is as long. The track has a nice smooth flow. I want to put a 4 lane rural hwy. that follows along side of the track. (there is an area from my town to the next town were HWY 20 does just...
  7. D

    Bachmann Spectrum vs Athearn locos

    spectrum I have 2 Genesis sd60m's,they run great and detail is top notch but as I said in my post, when my trains are rolling, accute detail is not my major concern. When I say modern day I mean within the the past decade, not last week. I guess I must have bought two bad Genesis locos and...
  8. D

    Bachmann Spectrum vs Athearn locos

    I have to say that I have several of both and I have to say that I am more impressed with the Spectrums then the Athearns. All units are new and new releases and by far the Spectrums run smoother, much quieter, and run fine at momemtum power. I will say that the Athearns are a little better in...
  9. D

    What do you think about Athearn,Walthers,Concor passenger cars

    Here is why I am asking. I am starting to put together an Amtrak set. I am wanting it to be the modern day double decker superliners in phase 3 or 4 paint. I don't think that Athearn even offers superliners but I could be wrong. I have purchased several Walthers RTR frieght cars and I think that...
  10. D

    My first Bachmann Spectrum engine. Nice!

    I just got a GE Dash 8-40 Bach/Spect engine today and wow does it run very very smooth and quiet. I have Atlas,Athearn and Walthers engines also and I really think that the B.S. engine runs as smooth if not smoother than my other engines.Detail is good, the others to me are a bit better but I...
  11. D

    Do engines perform different when it comes to the power source

    dcc Thats is my plan. I will go dcc. Here is why I am asking this question. I have all new track,feeders every 2 feet all joiners are soldered and the tracks is cleaned almost every day. I have about 110-120 feet of track. The thing I notice is that my engines hit slow and fast spots in my...
  12. D

    Do engines perform different when it comes to the power source

    train Hi, I am running new modern Athearn, Atlas, and Bachman spectrum. All are DCC but I am not set up for DCC yet.
  13. D

    Do engines perform different when it comes to the power source

    I have several new engines on my new layout, as of right now now I am using the cheap 10.00 run of the mill controller. You know the one that that comes with every cheap train set. I am only using it as I am building my layout and I use it to to make sure that I have power to the rails and that...
  14. D

    Another ballast question(not about cat litter)

    Here is what I need help on. I have code 100 track and I want to start ballasting my mainline, yard and some spurs.What grit do you think is best for an HO scale modern day layout. I think fine may be good but I am not really sure. Next to where I work there is a BNSF/AMTRAK line and I look at...
  15. D

    Model Power metal trains

    I always try to buy higher end locos and rolling stock. I try to stay away from the cheap stuff. Anyway I went to a yard sale today that had listed in it's ad that it had model train items for sale. I get there and they had some good stuff. Atlas,Walthers and so on. I made them an offer for the...
  16. D

    new to dcc, maybe a dumb question

    I just got a bachman spectrum 44 ton diesel switcher(ebay) like new. The item was listed as like new(and it was) and it was described as dcc wired but no decoder was intalled. I looked at the instruction sheet but it does not show much, anyway I took the shell off and there is a tiny little...
  17. D

    Cardboard as a backdrop?

    I am in the phase of putting my backdrop up. I know that there is lots of different materials to use but my question is, is there a way to paint cardboard so it does not look like paint soaked cardboard? I have access to perfect double wall cardboard sheets and I would really like to use them...
  18. D

    cat litter as ballast? Sounds crazy but....

    litter I have decided to not use the litter(as far as for ballast). I will more than likely use a different mixter of woodland s. ballast. Just as one of you posted, the price for W/S ballast is not really that much more and I do not need all that litter. Thanks for all of your input. Mark
  19. D

    BNSF pumpkin SD40-2 snoot dummy(how to?)

    I am wanting an Athearn bnsf sd40-2 snoot nose dummy. Here is the problem. I do not think that Athearn offers one. I have seen lots of shells of the exact model I want but I have no idea what frame to buy to put under it.Any ideas? Thanks!
  20. D

    Whats a good cheap backdrop material

    I am to the point on my layout to start putting up my backdrop. I am looking for something that can curve a little bit and is easy to paint. I thought about drywall but I am looking for other ideas. Is there any kind of thin fiber type board that is cheap and would work well? I need it to be 24"...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top