ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
djstrains,
Several of the towns that you mentioned working in were once serviced by the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie RR. I am starting to build a model RR based on the P&LE, can you offer any insight?? I'd be interested in anything you can add.
Thanks
P&LE
-
Gents,
After a long layoff from the hobby, and a couple of false starts, I am FINALLY ready to begin construction of a small layout. I may be moving (yet again) within the next year, so I've decided to build a 4x8 that I can take with me when/if I move. This will not be my "final" layout, more...
-
Beachbum,
I know the staging set up isn't ideal, so I'm thinking of running those tracks down a grade and around a curve to put them below the fascia on the bottom side of the layout (under the town) where they would be accessible. What do you think of that idea?
Thanks for all the input...
-
Sketch 2 different shape
Gents,
I finally measured the room where the layout will go, and I've decided to revise my plan. I went with a dogbone(?) type walk-in design for this version. I can fit this revised plan into the room with only the left side against a wall, and have access to the...
-
Gents,
As I've posted before on other threads, I'm preparing to model the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie RR, in eastern Pennsylvania, circa 1952. There will be a significant emphasis on coal mines and coal hauling on my layout.
One of my coal tipples is going to be served by a narrow gauge "mine...
-
railrunner,
Thanks for your input.
I plan to add lots of spurs and sidings in the town area and on the branch line, I'm just still learning the xtrkcad software.
The mainline is supposed to be double tracked, as the prototype is, but a large part of it will be hidden (the staging area) and...
-
I'm in! Medina show sounds great. I'll mark my calendar now. Where should we meet there?
PLE
-
montanan,
Thanks for your input and the pic. I'm leaning towards a wooden turntable, maybe with a brick lined pit, and a power wire coming to the center post (whatever you call that part of a TT that stands in the middle above a loco).
I've been looking at pics of TTs online for the last hour...
-
Gentlemen,
As I posted elsewhere on the forum, I'll be moving into a different house within the next few weeks and I'll have a decent area in the basement to build an HO layout depicting the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie RR in 1952. The area will be roughly (haven't measured it yet) 12X15ish or so...
-
Ok gents, thanks for the input. I think I'm going to go with a turntable for the end of the branch. Better use of the available space and it will be visually interesting.
PLE
-
brookside,
Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I'm looking for, especially the bit about the U&D since the P&LE was part of the NYC system.
Looks like a turntable it is then for the end of my branch.
Can anyone point me to some online pics of 1950s turntables online? I'm not having much...
-
Gents,
I'm kicking around the idea of including a wye at the end of a branchline on my (still in the planning stage) HO Pittsburgh & Lake Erie RR layout.
I'm using xtracad software for my planning (doodling), but I'm still in the learning curve.
Can someone please help me with the...
-
iroc,
I'm not far from Canton either, maybe we should get together too?
When is the open house at your club? Looks interesting!
PLE
-
Kinda what I'm thinking Charles, I may have room for a wye at the end of the branch, but a TT would fit better. Just wondering how common turntables were in the backwoods of Pennsylvania in 1952. I've been searching online for pics, but no dice so far.
PLE
-
35tac & Capt,
I'm in Wadsworth, moving to Akron soon, maybe we should get together and railfan or something?
iroc, where are you in Ohio?
PLE
-
Capt,
Welcome to the forum, I'm in Ohio too. What part of the Buckeye state are you in?
I was into trains as a kid and am getting back in to it as well, I also model in HO.
PLE
-
Not sure if this is the right place to pose this question, but.....
As soon as I move into my new house (within the month) I'll begin construction of a small to mid-size HO layout based on the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie RR in 1952.
Part of the layout will feature a double track mainline for...
-
cuyama,
I am moving into a new house and I'll have a space in the basement (not exactly sure of the dimensions yet) similar to what's being discussed in this thread. The donut idea with "inside" and "outside" locations is brilliant and is just what I have been looking for in my quest to...
-
otiscnj,
Thanks for that info, I've been pouring through coal mining history stuff and I'm finding a lot of mention of trams, but nothing specifically about western PA.
Do you know of any websites that chronicle, hopefully with pics, the trams you're referring to in eastern PA?
Thanks.
PLE
-
Thanks Grande,
I am looking forward to the research, one of my favorite parts of the hobby, and now I have some ideas on where to start. My girlfriend just LOVES that I spend at least 2 hours a night on the computer researching old railroads, LOL. Hey, at least it keeps me home and not at...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)