Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. S

    Layout design question

    I think she realizes I'm digging a hole and by working in the basement I'm that much deeper already lol.
  2. S

    Layout design question

    3 foot isles was my aim point. It will just be me n the wife for now. Is there any good computer track planning programs out there for free? I mess around with Atlas right track software but I cant seem to find the perimeter settings to set the size of the room.
  3. S

    Layout design question

    Just checked them out. Thanks for the tip. I still have two old school athearn locomotives that will have to do for now. I had 20 locomotives and over 100 railcars all done up with command control. I gave it all to my buddy when I moved south.
  4. S

    Layout design question

    On my last layouts I did better figuring out track design as I went. I got the gist of what I wanted, built benchwork then ordered a buttload of flex track from Standard Hobby ( Who is the go to company now that they are closed?). I have the room for 24" or better radius's. I am sort of set on...
  5. S

    Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIX

    I'm in upstate South Carolina in the small town of Inman. I am a short drive from Saluda grade. I grew up in Massachusettes and always wanted to come down to see that grade in action. I was a few years to late. I worked on the New England Central railroad mostly out of Palmer Ma and Brattleboro...
  6. S

    Layout design question

    Thanks for the feedback. I informed my wife last night that after the layout is built I would probably expand to the other side of the basement. She looked over her coffee cup and just nodded that it was ok. Somehow I got the feeling that I will pay for that quiet nod down the line, lol. She...
  7. S

    Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIX

    Would your town the station would serve be large enough for that sized station? Could you add to the front benchwork and put the station on the mainline? Freights could run the siding when a passenger train is stopped. Just a thought.
  8. S

    Layout design question

    My thought is around the walls walk in with an island. I may build it as a double deck layout ( I grew up on Ohio Southern articles!). I just was wondering if there was a site that had a bunch of plans. There may be something out there I hadn't thought of. As I said I've been out of the hobby...
  9. S

    Layout design question

    Is there a good place to go for room layout ideas? I have one side of the basement, roughly 17 by 25 for a layout with a 10 by 10 section in one corner that is taken by a mancave kitchenette(microwave coffee maker and fridge) and couch. I know what type of industries I want I'm just not sure...
  10. S

    Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIX

    I'll look into it. My heating ducts are right overhead so I could cut vents in but the floor will still be cold. I have one of those electric fireplaces that blows out heat but it's like the heater in my ol truck, makes it 90 degrees and puts you right to sleep!
  11. S

    Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIX

    Good morning everyone. Not as cold here in South Carolina but I manage a food warehouse and just got done in a -1 degree freezer so its cold! It's supposed to only get in the 40's here this weekend. Sounds like a good time for coffee, Netflix and our dogs. The basement isn't heated yet so its a...
  12. S

    Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIX

    I've got a drawing of the Arizona as it sits now. My buddy picked it up when he went to Hawaii. I'm trying to find the right frame for it. If these young kids now knew half of what those guys did then at the same age.....
  13. S

    Hello everyone

    I told my daughter I would name a town after her but no work would get done in that town.;)
  14. S

    Hello everyone

    The only issue I'm having now is I'm about to be a grandpa. The thought occurred to me that it would be kinda neat to name towns on the railroad after my daughters son to be and my wifes sons daughter. I yelled at myself for thinking of that. I could hear erasers in my head erasing track and...
  15. S

    Hello everyone

    I modeled HO scale and plan to stick with that scale. I've been working on something plan wise in the back of my mind, a what if scenario. I used to model between Pittsfield and North Adams MA in a kind of protolance way. I recently poked around the old Housatonic and realized that the...
  16. S

    Hello everyone

    I've been out of the hobby for about 10 plus years now. My wife and I just bought a house with a basement so I'm taking the plunge! I worked for various railroads for around 10 years doing everything from trackwork to locomotive engineer.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top