Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. E

    Engine Roster Thread

    This is my only group shot of the Superfleet: Larger version here, too big to post in-line on the forum: http://www.gp30.com/superfleet01.jpg This pic is a couple years old - I've since finished another U-boat (early U30B) and a GP40. GP40 pic was posted in my previous entry. So my...
  2. E

    No more "Extreme Trains"?

    Seeing as how I don't know what, or where the SRCC meeting is, the answer is probably no... if you are in Alabama as your sig implies, I'm a good day's drive away anyway :) Re. contests - that's another subject all together. Not something I participate in from either the entry or judging...
  3. E

    No more "Extreme Trains"?

    I think ET succeeded in that regard. I think those of us who do want more "hard core" information know better than to look for it on TV. I use History Channel as a backdrop for working on models, because it doesn't tax my brain much, and it's not near as annoying as most of the other stuff on...
  4. E

    No more "Extreme Trains"?

    You are "sad" about something that "MAY" have had an effect on the decision to cancel? What's sad to me is that the same "rivet counters are ruining the hobby" nonsense gets liberally applied to something as distant from *model* railroading and actual rivet counting as a TV show. FWIW...
  5. E

    No more "Extreme Trains"?

    They didn't "pull the plug on the program". Extreme Trains, like many HC shows, is built around a fixed number of episodes - far less than what we'd consider a "season" in network TV. All made months before the debut. As to whether or not there will be a second season, it's all about ratings...
  6. E

    No more "Extreme Trains"?

    Naah, it was Cheech & Chong's Up In Smoke.... Another thing about that show is that some of the archival footage wasn't even of the right car. I don't remember which one was the subject, but it was a Ford or Chrysler and they're showing old test track films of a 65 Chevy or something like...
  7. E

    No more "Extreme Trains"?

    History channel paying attention to what viewers think? Not likely. They don't care what anybody but A.C. Neilsen thinks. I have a theory that the History Channel is actually a closet in some office building in Burbank. That closet contains a web server, a DVD player, a couple other...
  8. E

    Engine Roster Thread

    I need to take some better color pics of it. The black & whites are 11 years old now. I did some reworking of the roof line in 2007 and I haven't gotten any really good photos that show it. It's a difficult loco to shoot in color under indoor light for some reason. Here's a more recent...
  9. E

    The future of the Hobby

    LOL... not again!! This comes up about every 5 years. The problem is nobody in Cincinnati wants to go to Columbus or Cleveland. If they build it, we won't come. There's something about big G spending that says we can't walk before we run. How about putting some trains on the existing track...
  10. E

    Engine Roster Thread

    And now another episode of SAMURAI KITBASHER Some of the Super Fleet: Andy
  11. E

    Need opinions my first time airbrushing.

    Jon, What kind/brand of paint are you using? I saw several replies talking about various brands of paint and thinner, but I didn't see what you were actually using. Also what kind of airbrush, air source, pressure, etc? Andy
  12. E

    What type of Primer?

    This is true of all spray paint. I still occasionally use spraycans if I need to shoot a passenger car interior a base color, but never on anything that is going to be seen directly. Spraycans lay it on thick. Add that thickness to a primer, to factory paint, many details are going to be...
  13. E

    Good Non DCC constant lighting circuit

    I never bothered to mess with lights much until I went to DCC. Back in the 70s I bought a constant lighting kit. The thing had no labeling and poor instructions causing me to blow the bulbs. I finally got it working. The manufacturer's response when I mentioned the lack of labeling was to...
  14. E

    What type of Primer?

    Since much of what I paint is either dark colors (blue or black), or something close to primer gray anyway (I use MofW gray on my N&W covered hoppers), I rarely have any need for primer. I don't like to add thickness when I don't have to. For many years Proto 2000 undecorated locos all came in...
  15. E

    What type of Primer?

    I almost never use primer on plastic. It's not necessary unless you're putting white or yellow or a light color over black plastic, or you've done a lot of kitbashing, patching etc. and need a solid base for a lighter color. Andy
  16. E

    Accurail vs Athearn

    Not really possible to make a general comparison. Accurail has been around for maybe 15 years. Their kits are modestly priced and modestly detailed, generally easy to assemble, even the open auto rack. Athearn's product line spans 55 years and includes acquired products from other...
  17. E

    Front Range Products

    Front Range sold their GP7/9 three different ways: shell only, shell and frame kit, and as a complete locomotive. The complete locos had very nice Mashima motors and their own trucks, which would have been ok if they didn't fall apart. The frame was designed to take Athearn components and it...
  18. E

    Comparing F-7's

    As the owner of, I believe 70 Genesis F units, I would agree with that recommendation :) Last time I counted it was 67. Since then I added a Southern and two Bluebonnets. So I'm fairly sure it's an accurate count. Certainly the most I have of any one locomotive although it includes F3, F7...
  19. E

    Ever run a "train set"train on your layout

    Not my very first, but one of my first trains (I was 3) was an HO passenger train "set" my parents cobbled together probably from the bargain bin somewhere. It consisted of a Mantua/Tyco dual motor B&O F unit (only made one year -1960), a matching A unit dummy, a Fleischmann yellow tinplate...
  20. E

    Comparing F-7's

    Interesting to see a thread about F unit vs. F unit with not one, not two, not three, but *four* names that a decade ago were not associated with F units at all: Genesis, Broadway Limited, Intermountain, Proto 2000. Until the Intermountain (initially a shell kit only) was released in 1999...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top