ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
Sounds like you just started the list I was looking for. Good info.
-
Thanks for the info.
Is there a list that rates the various brands and lines they produce so the new guy can learn which model is a Cadillac and which one is the Yugo?
I have a couple Proto-2000's and really like them. But, I do not know how they compare to the blue box Athearns, the RTR...
-
Thanks for the help guys. I guess the answer was a "no brainer" but I just wanted to make sure. Seeing adds for Loco's that seem combine various manufacturers confused me. I had seen things like Steward XXX with Kato YYY. You guys are my LHS for all answers like this.
Thanks again
-
I want to custom paint an engine to match one that runs a small line near my house. I have seen a lot of "dummy" engines on Ebay for cheap. I thought about getting a couple to practice my paint scheme and skills on.
Would the shell for an Athearn Dummy fit the powered model also? I would...
-
I have been looking at some Sw-1500 and MP15DC engines for my layout. I have seen some ConCor engines for fairly low prices. I am not sure about their reputation, though.
Specifically, their HO scale SW-7 and MP-15 engines.
Does anyone have experience with them? Good/bad ?
-
There are a couple people selling FasTrack switches on Ebay. I think the double crossovers are going for something like $120, though. I think the kit from FasTracks will cost you about $100 more, and most of their kits come w/ enough material to make more than one switch (5 for most I have...
-
Back to the original topic here...
What is superelevation? Is this the term for the tracks leaning towards the center of the curve (such as banking on a NASCAR track)?
I had not seen that term used yet.
-
I have not used the hot wire cutter. I have heard it is really good for cutting the foam. I am not sure how good it would do for making a long straight cut for the grades, though. For a 2" grade, you are cutting such a small angle. Only 2" difference in about 8 feet of lenth. I don't think...
-
I have used the WS risers. They are easy to use when you have them in the grade you want. Cutting them to make another grade would not be easy. Might as well buy foam board and just try to cut it to the grade you want. I did not have much luck cutting foam into the grades I needed. It's a...
-
I agree with the 3/4" plywood ripped down to size. The quality of lumber at the big box stores is not all that good, unless you are looking at their premium hardwoods. Oak, ash, maple = $$$$ and a waste of good wood that will likely go unseen. Pine or fir is much cheaper, but it's tough...
-
The trolleys should be able to make much tighter curves too. So, the 15" snap track pieces (maybe tighter) could be utilized to fill in the city scene more.
I have often wondered how a N-scale track based trolley line or mining cart line would look in a HO layout. Similar to the...
-
Here is a picture I had snagged off the net that basically fits my description of what I was talking about with the 1 foot wide shelves making a big square or circle.
Or, like you said, you could incorporate your existing 4X8 as one side of the square and have the continuous loop...
-
You said you wanted a continuous loop layout. Have you considered making a big circle where you basically operate it from the middle. If you wanted to not waste the sheet of plywood, cut it into 1 foot wide strips, and make an 8 X 8 square with basically 1 foot wide "shelves". Cut the outside...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)