ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
B
Very well done. I'm not really a fan of the little euro type locomotive, but it works in the pictures.....:)
-
B
I've run across the same problem with the RTR craze in RC cars.....Kinda sad since I always thought building was as much fun as racing or pulling a train of cars I had built....
-
B
I would say come up with a plan first. There are a ton of good books and magazines that can give you ideas on how to proceed. A well thought out plan can help you prevent spending money twice. A plan is also more than just where the track will go. It can and should include an idea of what the...
-
B
I'm just getting back into Model Railroads after about 15 years and the first thing I noticed was the huge price increases on nearly everything involved in the hobby. I'm just glad I have tons of earlier rolling stock, and 4-5 locomotives that are DCC ready, but even then it'll be around $120 to...
-
B
Id love to know what your solution was as far as setting the IHC steamers up for DCC. I have several and I might like to run them at the club someday.....E
-
B
John Allen started the legendary Gorre & Daphetid with an even smaller layout.......:D
-
B
Hey Scott. All I can say is I love your layout and how well . It looks very well thought out. I just rejoined our local club after a 25 year hiatus, but I'd still love to have layout at home. I put "4x6 layout" in the search and yours was one of the ones that came up. I might borrow a few of...
-
B
hey Ray....It stated here in Henrietta NY about 7pm....good to see a neighbor here....
-
B
Same here....I'm in the process of resurrecting my fathers 5x10 foot layout....I was considering tearing it down and building a shelf layout, but this one is just to the point of wiring....
-
B
I'm contemplating the purchase of a DCC system in the near future, and have read about problems concerning non-insulated frogs on turnouts causing shorts. My small 5X10 foot layout has a mixture of Atlas and Shinohara turnouts. It was begun by my father and myself probably 12-14 years ago, and...
-
B
I would suggest Liquid Nails to attach the foam to the plywood. Maybe use the same for the corks. I used good old Elmers white glue...
-
B
Thanks Guys....I have that book....It's my fathers old copy. I thought he had used it as a model when he set up the wiring system. I'm back to thinking DCC again since it seems fairly simple.....I have a Athearn Genisis Mikado and a couple of Proto2000 diesels that would be first candidates for...
-
B
....so the motor's only contact is thru the decoder then?....I see....so the motor must be %100 isolated, so that it's only contact electrically is thru the 2 wires on the decoder....This is beginning to make sense....Should the motor be insulated from the chassis too?....as in the case, frame...
-
B
I'm considering using DCC on my layout.....The system I'm thinking of using is the Digitrax Zephyr. Can anyone better describe isolating the motor in a non-DCC ready locomotive?....I understand the why, but the how has me a bit puzzled.....Thanks....:)
-
B
The Athearn Genisis has the plug pre-wired in for DCC as does the Proto 2000. The IHC steamers I have are'nt the Premium series, and a few of them are close to 30 years old. Most of the Athreans are about this old as well.What is the best way to insulate the motor from the chassis so it does'nt...
-
B
I am severly tempted to go to DCC, but nearly all of my motive power is older, and I'm not sure of how hard it's going to be to set them up for DCC. I have 2-3 units that are newer DCC ready.....an Athearn Genisis Mike, and a couple of Proto 2000 units, but most of it is old IHC steam, and some...
-
B
Thanks guys....I've been assesing the situation some more....I'll try to explain it a little better....Each section of flex track and each turnout is wired (has it's own feeder). These connect to a terminal strip under the table. From these terminals, a larger set of wires is routed to terminal...
-
B
hmmmm.......why did'nt I think of that....*sigh*....:D
Thanks.....I have several sets with clips....Let's see what happens.....
-
B
In my basement, I have a nice little layout that my Father and I had been building before he passed away in 2003, and since then I have been trying to figure out exactly how he had planned on wiring it. I did most all of the soldering work under the table, and all the feeders are run to terminal...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)