Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. F

    New layout after a 25 year vacation

    trying upload function again I forgot to reduce the file size of my pictures- anyway, here they are, showing what I got done this past weekend.
  2. F

    New layout after a 25 year vacation

    Upper yard is now in progress I added a staging track beneath the upper yard. It's long enough for an entire train. I envision the surprise it will bring to viewers when they least expect to see a train exit a tunnel. Here's some pics. I'm going to try laying out a compound ladder yard vs a...
  3. F

    Yard lead or class trax?

    Just starting to build my N scale yard- looking for ideas Good job on the yard, Rico. Did you make a sketch or drawing of the compound ladder? I have looked at a diamond yard, http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/782 and laid it out on the yard, and it was an improvement over my first...
  4. F

    New layout after a 25 year vacation

    A diamond in the rough (very rough) I came across a site, http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/782, where they talked about designing a "diamond" shaped yard. I was frustrated last night with my efforts, but I tried the diamond concept, and I'm fairly happy with the results. I need to buy...
  5. F

    New layout after a 25 year vacation

    Trying out ideas for the upper yard I'm trying to lay out my yard, and even though the table is about 24x68", it sure doesn't give me much room. Here's a picture that shows what I've come up with so far. I had to stitch 2 photos together. I have a bunch of oddball turnouts that I'm going to...
  6. F

    New layout after a 25 year vacation

    Going up? You can see where the upper level will begin- it's a little exaggerated to show up clearly in the photos.
  7. F

    New layout after a 25 year vacation

    A few more pics Here's a few pics with the trackwork laid- The Northern 4-8-4 even made it thru the reverse loop! I'll also post some pics showing where the upper level starts
  8. F

    New layout after a 25 year vacation

    My track plan Attached is a trackplan that is hand drawn on graph paper. I tried using many of the "easy" trackplan programs, but to me, they're too involved. I like the K.I.S.S. method the best. Basically, the layout is designed for continuous running on one level, while the yard in the upper...
  9. F

    New layout after a 25 year vacation

    it stuttered over a couple of turnouts and the crossing. Probably needs a better cleaning, either the loco or the track. And it's code 80- Peco flextrack, with Atlas turnouts. Not sure what the turnouts are.
  10. F

    New layout after a 25 year vacation

    http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=491818115003 I used the "insert link" feature to see what happens vs my previous post.
  11. F

    New layout after a 25 year vacation

    Here's the first run over the lower level with a small yard switcher. The video is on facebook, so if you can't view it, I'll post it on youtube. http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=491818115003
  12. F

    New layout after a 25 year vacation

    Getting some track laid Hoping to finish tomorrow and run a steam locomotive around the lower mainline. Have about 2 more pcs of flextrack to lay, run power, then clean track, clean wheels, gauge the track, etc. Here's a couple of pics.
  13. F

    progress so far

    rock castings I love your descriptive commentary- pile of crap- lol On a previous layout, I used clothing dye to stain plaster. I put it in a spray bottle. The darker colors gave a great shadowing effect. This was 25 years ago, so there's probably a more modern technique now.
  14. F

    progress so far

    I love your descriptive commentary- pile of crap- lol On a previous layout, I used clothing dye to stain plaster. I put it in a spray bottle. The darker colors gave a great shadowing effect. This was 25 years ago, so there's probably a more modern technique now.
  15. F

    N scale Trees

    Trees from furnace filter and/or scouring pads Any chance that either of you can post a picture? thanks,
  16. F

    New layout after a 25 year vacation

    the lower level will have a reverse loop (kind of where the black line is), 2 passing sidings, and a connection to the upper level. More turnouts will be added as needed.
  17. F

    New layout after a 25 year vacation

    I tore down my original N Scale layout in 1982. It was a hodge podge, around the room configuration that grew willy nilly. My next layout was on a 4x8 sheet of plywood. That was the one I dismantled in 1985. Now I'm starting again. I say it's for the grandkids, but who am I kidding, right...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top