Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. L

    What do you do for a living?

    Graphic artist and web designer - self employed. http://www.cpcwebsite.com
  2. L

    Newbie with layout reccomendations

    What I did with mine is get 1" insulation board (I have a small lake I'm putting in front of my depot, for a nice view when people get off the trains), and then get a 2" foam insulation board for my hills. I have a large 6" hill in one corner, and a 2" hill between my mainline, the big hill and...
  3. L

    Newbie with layout reccomendations

    How large are your access holes? How large are your access holes?
  4. L

    First time here - my layout, in progress

    How often do you have to apply this? West Virginia Midland Man: Do I only do this once, or do I have to do it often? How often, if necessary?
  5. L

    Newbie with layout reccomendations

    This book is also great for track plans for layouts of all sizes I strongly recommend this book, which I have - 101 Track Plans. http://www.kalmbachstore.com/12012.html You may also be interested in this book - Track Planning For Realistic Operation-Third Edition...
  6. L

    First time here - my layout, in progress

    I found some of that liquid glycerin solution, now what do I do? West Virginia Midland Man: I found some of the liquid glycerin solution, and want to apply it to my lichens. Do I have to mix it with water, as the directions for the glycerin says? How do I put it on my lichens? My goal was to...
  7. L

    best 4x8 layouts...

    I normally run two trains, one at a time, with one doing a passenger run, and the other doing a freight run or minor operations servicing the lumber yard. I usually park the passenger train on the mainline curve on the left, and have the freight train go on the inside curve going around the...
  8. L

    best 4x8 layouts...

    Model Railroader Magazine has an excellent book called 101 Track Plans, for small, moderate and large model railroads.
  9. L

    best 4x8 layouts...

    I looked at several, but I chose that one because it offered me an affordable way to learn about model railroading, how to put things together such as buildings and scenery, and easy to build.
  10. L

    best 4x8 layouts...

    For those who are beginners like me, I think one can't go wrong with the Worlds Greatest Hobby Track Plan. I'm doing my own variation on that. Visit here to see more: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2024239&id=1321427065&l=20c1eb6921 Enjoy!
  11. L

    Digitrax Zephyr issue

    Trey: I had a similar problem this week. What happened is my Zephyr burned out. The early signs were that I could not program (d nd) error message would come on, and as I was running trains, the LED display would flash off and on. Then, finally, I got smoke coming out of my LocoNet ports. I...
  12. L

    First time here - my layout, in progress

    What I had planned on doing I like the suggestion about weathering the rails. What I was planning on doing is leaving the top part (the ties) bare with the plastic, and just having the ballast either along the edge (Something I picked up in Model Railroader Magazine), or cover the entire bank...
  13. L

    First time here - my layout, in progress

    I don't have an airbrish, but what can I do to achieve the weathering effect? What would I need to deal with the plastic roadbed? I could put ballast on top of the whole thing and in between the rails, but I think that would defeat what I may need to do later on, which is to replace the track...
  14. L

    First time here - my layout, in progress

    I understand what you're saying I do have the dark green clump foliage, but could not find the fall clump foliage. I was trying to recreate decidious bushes. I know there are also grasses you can get, which is my next step.
  15. L

    What has happened to the hobby?

    I agree with you about many kids wanting to play video and computer games more than model trains. However, if you come to any model train flea market or show, you'll see the kids and their parents all there. Come to Durand Union Station sometime, to see the HO layout. There are lots of visitors...
  16. L

    First time here - my layout, in progress

    Here are some pictures of my model train layout, in progress. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2024239&id=1321427065&l=20c1eb6921 :D




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top