ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
L
Try it now for Facebook - public link
If you are still having problems, try this public link.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2024239&id=1321427065&l=20c1eb6921
-
L
Still more- just updated - getting closer to relaxing and running trains
Here are still more pictures of my model train, in progress. I'm getting closer and closer to being able to relax and run trains.
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/album.php?albumid=767...
-
L
Here are yet more photos - with my lakebed
I have yet more photos, with my lakebed. It is not the smoothest thing in the west, but I hope that the realistic water will help smooth it out.
On Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2024239&id=1321427065&ref=mf
On Trainboard...
-
L
Not like I'm trying to tell you what to do or anything, but I would not use Woodland Scenics grass mats. It looks more realistic when you paint the surface, and then apply Woodland Scenics fine, medium, and coarse turf, and then apply scenic cement on top of it all.
-
L
When I build my main street, I plan on using plaster mixed with gray paint, and will sand it when it dries so it will look like weathered concrete. Great idea from the Worlds Greatest Hobby video.
-
L
I have heard of people actually using Trainz software to help them with their layout building and scenery planning.
They do have a section in their software where you can learn to build your own virtual layout.
http://www.ts2010.com/index.php
-
L
Just wait until the bill comes into the US government for the money we owe them for helping us keep afloat!!! HaHaHa! :confused:
Also, you get what you pay for, and if they are content to use sweat shops to manufacture things, then the work will be shoddy.
-
L
Model Railroader Magazine talks about layout software
I originally posted this for Motley because of his plans for his new layout, but I will post it here, too. Model Railroader Magazine not too long ago had a nice story about layout software. Visit their story on their web site at...
-
L
My friends at the Durand Union Station Model Railroad Engineers group told me definitely cork for the roadbed. They haven't steered me wrong on anything yet. I'm using Atlas True Track on top of 1" foam insulation board, and am getting good results too. They said that and the Kato Unitrak is the...
-
L
Thanks for your encouragement and help
I have worked very hard on my first layout, which is still under construction. I have learned a lot from all of you, and hope to learn more as I go along. I try to treat this as a journey, not a destination. Michael Gross of Family Ties fame, the narrator...
-
L
Thanks
I think I have an X-acto chisel blade - I got a complete X-acto set as part of my art stipend when taking art classes at a local college.
I think I will consider the Testors with a brush. I did'nt have that before, and it was so sloppy.
As you can see, this is a complete learning...
-
L
I have new photos of my layout, in progress.
Visit my Facebook photo album at:
Larry's model railroad, in progress
The changes are on the second page. And I apologize for the darkness, because the lighting in the basement is not the greatest.
I do have some questions concerning my buildings...
-
L
I have a Bachman version of the Pere Marquette 1225, with their decoder and a Digitrax SFX004 hooked up, and it works fine.
-
L
Another thing you can do to test your layout idea, Motley, is to get some track planning software. Some of the best ones out there will actually allow you to simulate running a train on the layout to see where your problems may be. Model Railroader had an excellent article on this not long ago...
-
L
I think there should have been a recall
I think that there should have been a product recall on the Zephyrs, or at least those that were having the problems.
My Zephyr was two years old, thus it was outside its warranty period. However, when something like this happens, and you see smoke...
-
L
The reason for the lichens was because I was trying to model northern Michigan undergrowth. I have since put some coarse grass in red and yellow to highlight the color a bit more. I will have some pictures ASAP.
-
L
ICG/SOU: this is what happened
Apparently what happened was that they had to replace a booster plug, modify it to rev 10, and test it.
I was charged the fee they charge to fix it - $35.
-
L
About sound, Motley
Motley:
Sound decoders are pretty much abundant now, either inside the engines themselves, or as separate decoders. It all depends on how much you want to spend. The Digitrax SFX004 seems to be compatible with just about any application, as is the SoundTraxx Tsunami. On...
-
L
Just to let everyone know my Digitrax Zephyr came back, and there was only a minor problem with it. It was a booster plug, that they modified to rev 10 and tested it. They said there were no other problems.
-
L
Great idea if he wants to incorporate more scenery and more mainline operations. But I think he is looking for as much operations capability that he can get on the space he has available, with opportunities for expansion later.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)