Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. K

    Scrapping and staring over?

    Hey, thanks Jim - I'm still learning a lot though. When you refer to the passing lane, runaround, and stubs, what exactly is that? I'd assume (from right, to left in the picture) the far right is the mainline, the next one over is the passing lane, then the runaround, then the two stubs...
  2. K

    Scrapping and staring over?

    Cool, thanks for the input Carl! My interest definitely hasn't demished after starting this layout and running some trains - if anything, I realise I want to do more with it! :D I still need to do a lot of research about the trackplan, and even more so (though I am really thinking...
  3. K

    Scrapping and staring over?

    Hey guys, Ok, I have always loved trains and had a couple HO and an N scale trainset as a kid. Now that I finally have a good job and some free time, I've really been getting into model railroading. I started out so far with a slightly cut down 4x7 piece of plywood with 2" foamboard over...
  4. K

    Different locomotives on my layout

    Hey guys, Thanks for the responses. I laid the turn with a 12" radius (tightest corner as well) - and in the middle of it, I had to join two pieces of Flextrack. Like you guys said, and I noticed slightly - it does have a very little kink to it. It amazes me though, because it's not much...
  5. K

    Different locomotives on my layout

    Hey guys, I have an N scale layout I've been working on. Not huge - 20' of mainline run with 6 turnouts of it (4 being passing lanes, other 2 as seperate spurs). Anywho, I have liked both the Kato 2-8-2 steam engine, along with their E8A unit... probably both for Southern. Here's my...
  6. K

    Ballasting track

    Hey guys, Sorry again, I'm just new - I ballasted my Pensacola yard with a dark brown color. Learned alot there, such as I definitely need to protect more of my turnouts next time and not go so high with it. Spent hours getting it all "un-gunked"! :o However, it's working pretty well now...
  7. K

    Railfanning around ATL?

    Awesome Todd, thanks! That's just a couple minutes away from where I live. My buddy and I also went up to that NS intermodal yard a few miles north (he applied for a job there). Kyle
  8. K

    Caboose - why?

    Cool Paul! Hey guys - here's a photo of my railroad... AGR's caboose, near Fountain, Alabama. Which leads me to another problem. I'm having a hardtime finding a classic green, Burlington Northern caboose in N scale. Anyone know where to find one? Kyle
  9. K

    Railfanning around ATL?

    Hey guys, I got my friend coming up next weekend, and was wondering - are there any good hotspots around Atlanta, Georgia? I live in Douglasville (right outside of ATL) and I know there's a east/west Norfolk Southern line. Just didn't know if someone was from around here. I guess too...
  10. K

    Caboose - why?

    Oh, okay. Makes sense then Jim. Really guys, I appreciate all this insight on the issue. I am definitely looking to pick up a BN caboose for my layout now. As well, I have a good idea how it is actually incorporated too. Kyle
  11. K

    Caboose - why?

    Cool, thanks a lot guys! So, where does the word "shoving platform" come from? I'm still confused... does it actually "shove" or "push" stuff, or is it just a look-out point for backwards running trains? If so, then why call it a "shoving platform". Why not "lookout platform"? Thanks, Kyle
  12. K

    Caboose - why?

    Thanks a lot for the info guys! That is really cool, I never knew they existed anymore. There's another perk of researching for my shortline model railroad! :) I'm still wondering though - what is a "shoving platform"? Is that basically like was said earlier - an idler car that can reach...
  13. K

    Caboose - why?

    I stumbled upon a website that said this - "The fact that the AGR still uses a caboose in very limited service is on of the things I love the most. My earliest memories of the railroad back when Burlington Northern owned the rails was a caboose on every train. These same cabooses remain...
  14. K

    Caboose - why?

    Hm, thanks guys. Honestly, I am not sure if they use them all the time. See, this line runs around the panhandle of Florida (those pictures are Pensacola). That's the area where I was born and raised, but I've moved to Atlanta, Georgia for a job. So... I can't really go do any research -...
  15. K

    Caboose - why?

    Hey guys, I am modeling a shortline that is still in operation for my N scale layout. I have a question - I thought cabooses died decades ago... so why does my Alabama Gulf railroad still use them? Here's a couple pics of what I'm talking about. It's just a one car, simple local job -...
  16. K

    Mechanical Turnouts

    Cool, thanks Jim. However, I'm just a bit confused. The frog is black plastic, and extends almost a quarter inch into each diverging rail - that is, before the plastic of the frog ends, and the metal railhead begins. It seems like it can't pick up any electricity there anyways? Kyle
  17. K

    Mechanical Turnouts

    Thanks Jim - So, do you mean paint the black plastic "V" of the frog, along with another inch or so of the railheads with polish? Basically, painting a "V"? I have attached a picture to help me understand... the black represents metal railheads. The red is plastic, and the green is...
  18. K

    Mechanical Turnouts

    I was also wondering - like I said, I have all my track (mainline) soldered up and running both my Atlas' on it. I have noticed, that the engine's have a hard time on the turnouts - specifically the 3 axled SD60. Is it because of the plastic frogs, or is there something I can do to help...
  19. K

    Mechanical Turnouts

    Okay, cool - thanks Jim! I'm heading up to my hobby shop tommorow. Gonna grab some more rolling stock, along with more flextrack, turnouts, and other misc. stuff. Kyle
  20. K

    Mechanical Turnouts

    Hm, okay Jim. Didn't know if there was an easier thing. How exactly do the Caboose throws mount? I have 2" foamboard, and will probably cover that with plaster cloth. Can I have a long-lasting mount for it? Sorry for all the questions - like I said, this is my first layout, so I'm still...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top