ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
M
I am having good luck with sculptamold so far but I can't get it to look smooth when I need to. It's always lumpy which is fine for ground cover but sometimes I don't want that look.
-
M
I got it at Blick's. They are a chain and there happends to be one near where I live. Here is the link to their store locator http://www.dickblick.com/stores/
-
M
Yeah, this is the only section I am going to do. I just wanted to give it a shot to see how I'd do. All of the tunnels are accessible from the back and I already test ran this section.
-
M
My camera stinks. The rocks are actually a burnt umber with several other dark washes but you can't see it in the photos. Oh well.
-
M
I know I should not have done this out of order but this is my first real layout with scenery so I wanted to do a small section to make sure I don't get too far if I have no clue. What do you guys think? I still need to do some finish work to cover a few bare spots and go around with a brush...
-
M
Has anyone used one like this?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=66182&?utm_source=internet_email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=5109B&r=7229_149596
-
M
What is the secret? Is it in the brand of paper towel? What consistency do you mix it to? I tried an experiment last night using P.o.P. and bounty but it's not hardening up to well.
-
M
I guess its a good sign that I thought of that already. At least I know my hunches fall in line with the advise of those more experienced. Here is a shot after I added some black to it. Its shiny because its still wet. I will probably need to add another spray.
-
M
Here are a couple of more pics. I lightened the color a bit because when I put the top on it looks too black. This is where the two tracks will exit the mountain and come together before entering a small yard.
-
M
Thanks guys. I snapped that pic when it was still wet. It actually looks dull now that its dry. I made some more progress so I'll snap a few more pics and get them up with a brief tutorial. I have both inner walls done, the roadbed done and the rock wall between the roadbeds done. I...
-
M
This is all made of styrene with a coat of sculptamold over it. Both the portal and interior wall were done the same way.
-
M
Awesome job. It inspires a newb like me that a simple layout can look amazing with the right details. Thank you.
-
M
No worries, I figured you just read it fast and didn't realize I was talking about the 2x3's.
-
M
I can't seem to find the draw bar pull spec for my loco anywhere. I'll keep digging around.
Here is what I have (except in black)
http://lionel.com/products/productfinder/ProductDetail.cfm?ProductNumber=6-11100&expandBranch=0&Keywords=mikado&CategoryID=495&RailLineID=&CatalogId=
-
M
I'm not. I was just posting what the 2x3's actually measured since he said he wasn't sure.
-
M
It is designed to run in one direction for the most part and the tighter of the 2 curves (o45) is the down grade. The climb is on o54 so hopefully that will help. Plus this corner will be hidden under a mountain. I plan on testing it before I box it all in and if I have an issue I am going to...
-
M
Those are the Woodland Scenic 4% risers so they should be correct. I didn't measure them for myself though. Since this is my first real layout I thought I would take the easy way out and buy those instead of build them myself. Part of the steep appearance might be the fact that the two tracks...
-
M
Oh, I forgot to add that this is roughly what the final will look like. I want to add some industries and sidings in the middle but I have not decided what yet.
-
M
Here are the first couple of shots of my new layout. I am building it in modules. This is the only tricky part where I have an over under that meets around the bend. This will all be covered by a mountain scene and pushed against a corner. This way I can build it up pretty high to give it...
-
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)