Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. oldtank

    H0 Collection 3 on Youtube

    OMG that is the most realistic layout I have ever seen, totally awesome you are a true artist.
  2. oldtank

    I'm feeling old ...

    Congratulations Tony but I have to tell you that you are still a Spring Chicken, you are only old when you get like us and have Great Grand Children, crikey now I feel old.
  3. oldtank

    The little engine that could for $120

    Being a big fan of small steam locos I relly like your little engine that could, its a pity that Model Power and Mantua are folding, I hope someone takes over their manufacture.
  4. oldtank

    Bachmann customer service problems

    I wonder just how many railroad modelers cut their teeth on brands like Tyco, Model Power and Bachmann, its not just the cheap brands that quit working, a friend of mine does shop repairs for various retailers and has a cupboard full of top brand locomotives some of which have been waiting over...
  5. oldtank

    When reality hits home.

    From time to time I guess many of us hit a brick wall with our layouts, what I do is watch train videos and read railroad books but give the layout it a rest for a while, I know I will never be the Leonardo da Vinci of the model railroad world but I do know that no matter what obstacle I come...
  6. oldtank

    How did you get started in the hobby?

    Being a young boy born in England I grew up in the days of steam, my first foray into model trains was at the age of 12 when I got a Hornby train set for Christmas, my Uncles and Aunts bought model train stuff for me the same year. We moved to Australia two years later when I was 14 (1957) and...
  7. oldtank

    Cleaning Hornby track

    Your 1970 Hornby track is Steel rather than Nickel Steel and needs to be cleaned either with a Track Cleaning Rubber or if it is badly tarnished or rusty a fine Emery Paper on a small wooden block should do the trick.
  8. oldtank

    Model Power officially out of business

    Here is a link to Volmers anouncement http://vollmer-online.de/en/archive/anouncement_2014.html
  9. oldtank

    Model Power officially out of business

    Not only Model Power but the German manufacturer "Volmer" have also pulled the pin on their business.
  10. oldtank

    whats a pancake moter

    I cant speak for the American Pancake Motors but the Brits have been using this type of motor for over 30 years, it is only the last 2 or 3 years that Hornby stopped using pancake motors which they call "Ringfield Motors", while not the ultimate in motors they last for years with many of the...
  11. oldtank

    whats a pancake moter

    The pancake motors were very popular in British Hornby and Italian Lima steam and diesel locomotives, in the case of steam they were tender driven, not the best running motors but you would have to smash them with a hammer to break them.
  12. oldtank

    Annoying Ads...

    Ads are a fact of life these days, I guess someone must be having a great laugh at all this force fed brainwashing. I have learned to live with them and in the case of TV I have just about worn the mute button away. As far as forums are concerned I just ignore them however on one forum I am...
  13. oldtank

    Most significant diesel electric locomotive of all time..

    I know very little about US diesel locos but I would imaging the Alco RS series would have to be pretty high on the list, it seems to me that EMD followed Alco in the early days especially when it comes to the road switcher body and AC traction.
  14. oldtank

    What do people do to strip factory paint ?

    I didnt give a brand name because I don't know what brands are available in the USA but here in Australia I use MrMuscle Oven Cleaner
  15. oldtank

    What do people do to strip factory paint ?

    I always use Non Caustic Oven Cleaner and leave it overnight, seems to work OK for me.
  16. oldtank

    Latest loco on my rails

    My Wife thinks i'm a big kid but I tell her its better than sitting in front of the TV complaining that there's nothing worth watching. People can say what they like and its like water off a ducks back.
  17. oldtank

    Latest loco on my rails

    Another great looking loco Ron, great buy.
  18. oldtank

    My newest acquisition

    Hi Ron, I notice there has been a swing towards American modelling in the UK, I guess people over there are learning that reliability and great running is available, from an exPat in Oz that used to model British but has now been into American N and HO for 8 years or so. Your new locos look...
  19. oldtank

    Hello From Australia

    A video taken at Fishermans Island (Port of Brisbane) of a coalie headed by a QRN 2300 Class, this one was taken about 2 years ago, turn the volume up. http://v8.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=dq3w1t&s=8">
  20. oldtank

    Country specific loco's...

    The last time I saw this baby I was driving interstate trucks and the coaches were scattered all over a padock near Violet Town. Cant see a 10 car set selling much under $1,000 but like all great Aussie railway models they have no trouble selling their stock. Have you seen the Fratschi Budd...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top