Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. J

    Kato Track and DCC Continuity?

    I'm back with another question. James at ModelTrainStuff.com said that I must have really good continuity in the track for DCC to work. I'm running Kato UniTrack and recently added a couple of turn-outs. I notice that my oldest loco hesitates and jerks when passing through that area. If it's...
  2. J

    Took the DCC plunge

    I did it. I ordered a NCE DCC starter kit that should be all I'll ever need. Now why do I hear laughter in the distance? I also came to the sobering realization that I own precisely ONE loco that I can convert to DCC. It's the Kato SD 70 M that I received in the mail today. My Bachmann...
  3. J

    Sound without DCC?

    I think I'll just retire it to a display case as-is. I don't know how something that ugly, with the motor showing out the back of the cab, could be attractive but I like it. It's a hard working little engine.
  4. J

    Sound without DCC?

    Jim, Thanks again for all the good advice. I'll go to that website next and probably take a look at what's on Ebay as well. As for the Athern, the motor is in the tender. There might be room to fit a decoder in the boiler though. I'm like you when it comes to steam locos. I have three...
  5. J

    Sound without DCC?

    Jim, I thank you for the reply. That's why I brought my question here. I visited the LHS and was barraged with all the reasons I should buy a $450.00 DigiTrax system. Then I was told that the decoders for the two out of three locos I own that could have DCC w/sound added would be another...
  6. J

    Sound without DCC?

    I've finished one section of layout and started another. I have top quality locos, two steam and one diesel, that are smooth and very quiet. And this leads to my question. Operation would be so much more realistic with sound but how do I do this? I don't want to go DCC. Too expensive. I...
  7. J

    Going from N Scale to HO

    We went and looked at a partially completed 4'X8' HO scale layout today. It was well done but struck my wife and I as being awfully crowded. We've done an about-face and decided to stick with N scale. We prefer a more open Texas Hill Country style of layout with long runs and open spaces...
  8. J

    Going from N Scale to HO

    Thanks, guys. And yes, I am very lucky to have the lady I married. Above all else, she is my best friend. John
  9. J

    Going from N Scale to HO

    Well, I started this hobby last summer as something to do while staying out of the heat here in Texas. I initially went with N Scale because of the amount of track you can lay in a small area. My wife and I have created a layout section on a hollow-core door that turned out fairly well. She...
  10. J

    What are these?

    I think you nailed it. I've never heard of TT which isn't surprising considering how new I am to this. After I checked closely I see that the wheels don't fit the track. The flanges are exactly the same width as the track itself so you can't get the wheels to sit inside. Thanks for the...
  11. J

    What are these?

    I've got four cars that I'd like to identify. All are N-Scale and made of die cast metal. The manufacturer is "Maisto". The couplers are non-Rapido but do not open and close like modern knuckle type. They will couple with my more modern cars though and have a copper piece projecting downward...
  12. J

    Joining different brands of track?

    Yep, it's N-Scale. Mite have to try that. Thanks! John
  13. J

    Headlight problem

    Thanks for all the input. I'm glad I didn't start disassembling it for nothing. John
  14. J

    Joining different brands of track?

    I am currently using Kato Uni-Track and have the opportunity to purchase a large lot of model equipment including EZ track by Bachman. My question is, is it possible to link the two types of track together? Thanks, John
  15. J

    Headlight problem

    Being new to model railroading, I need to ask a question that I hope is simple. I have a Bachman N-Scale Northern 4-8-4 that has, I think, a headlight problem. The headlight is at best an dim amber and will not get brighter regardless of throttle setting. Before I go disassembling the loco...
  16. J

    First Layout

    Here's a couple more photos. Not the best with the evening sun shining in from the left but you can get the idea. Still need to add a few more details and make a facia board.
  17. J

    First Layout

    Tankist...thanks for the tip about used equipment on the forum. Also, the oval track was what we got when we bought the Kato M1 set. I agree about not the most interesting or original. Fazby...the idea about having an opening in the back of the mesa is one of those "Why didn't I think of...
  18. J

    First Layout

    Darrell, Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I put down a 1" layer of foam as a base. That's how I handled the creekbed. The mesa was done by stacking layers of 0.5" foam. Worked out pretty well as the natural limestone landscape of the Hill Country tends to show the strata in the...
  19. J

    First Layout

    And more photos... Here's another batch. You can see the work progressing. I'm sure that by the time we get to the third or fourth section this one will not look too good by comparison.
  20. J

    First Layout

    My wife recently came up with an idea to give us something to do on these 100+ degree days of summer. Neither of us had ever tried model railroading but is seemed like a good idea to me. We purchased a Kato M-1 set, an 1860's steam engine and a hollow core door and went from there. The...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top