Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. jasonelki

    What is this and what model comp. makes them?

    Trying to figure out what this is, what it carrys and who makes them for HO scale? I'd love to get a few for my small layout. Looks like an ACF 2-bay covered hopper, but I'm not positive. Funny story associated with this specific hopper. While down in Oklahoma visiting family I shot a...
  2. jasonelki

    What happened to my decals????

    So let me get this straight, some of you gloss the model prior to decals? Just the areas where the decals will go, or the entire model? Seems like models look a bit odd when glossed, but I suppose you just go through after and dullcoat, knocking down the shine. I have a few engines I'm going...
  3. jasonelki

    Proto shell removal?

    Bingo! The 2 small screws(like the instructions say;)) under the trucks were the ones. The other 4 just hold the weight/motor assembly on! Pretty much fell off after those 2 came out. Now to try and troubleshoot the noise, that should be fun. Almost sounds as if something is rubbing as...
  4. jasonelki

    Proto shell removal?

    hmm, was hoping I had the wrong screws! Looks like I'll have to try a bit harder. What typically gets hung up, the sides or the ends? I have an RSC-2that is an absolute bear to get apart. But just to be clear, the entire shell comes off including the handrails? I have an atlas RS-1 that I...
  5. jasonelki

    Loco window extensions

    Interesting viewpoints fellas. Thanks for the responses and links!
  6. jasonelki

    Proto shell removal?

    Having some issues removing the shell of my GP 38-2. Even though I am a visual person, the exploded view in the manual is of limited/no help. It looks as though the long hood comes off the shell as well, and speaking from experience, I don't want to force the shell off as the damage is usually...
  7. jasonelki

    Need Decals Made

    Josh, I inquired through els trains and they got back to me right away, but I've had a few questions since their quote and haven't heard a response. Any luck dealing with these folks?
  8. jasonelki

    Soo

    Not really sure. This group heads down from Portage to Madison 5 or 6 times a week, I think. Wish I could look up times when trains go places... Seems like they never pull many cars, so not sure whats going on, but I've seen an old Milw Rd Bandit in between in the past too.
  9. jasonelki

    Soo

    Saw this lashup in Portage, Wis last weekend on a very dark winter day. It was about 10 am when I shot these photos!
  10. jasonelki

    Good general DC powerpack?

    Thanks again for the info. Looked up MRC packs on the Walthers website and it gives a small description of each. My current pack has 17VDC, 20 VAC and a max output of 7 VA. What do these numbers mean? I'm assuming the VDC runs the loco and the VAC runs any accessories such as lights...
  11. jasonelki

    Good general DC powerpack?

    Thanks fellas, all good stuff. Sounds like MRC is the way to go. That said, what pack would work best on my layout? I'm running the Atlas "Trunk Line", just a simple 4x8 with ~8 separate blocks right now. I only will run 2 or 3 trains max. Ebay has tons of the MRC packs, but I'm still a...
  12. jasonelki

    Using Google Earth to view the rail yards! omg!

    woah, that sounds pretty cool. Are hump yards fairly common? I think at some point I've seen a clip of how this works on PBS. Thanks for the info!
  13. jasonelki

    Using Google Earth to view the rail yards! omg!

    wow, that is cool. What is a hump yard? And what is that darker "line" area of track that starts, or ends the straight sections in the upper right area?
  14. jasonelki

    Using Google Earth to view the rail yards! omg!

    X2! Those are some huge yards!!!:eek: Model layouts of any of these would be sweet. Wish I had the time, money, space and more importantly, the talent to do something like this in HO!
  15. jasonelki

    Good general DC powerpack?

    Thanks for the responses! I've been looking at mostly new packs, but have also looked at ebay a bit too. How much functionality, if any, do these powerpacks "lose" if they are used? I guess I'd rather get a used model that has more power than a new one with less. What do the MRC numbers...
  16. jasonelki

    Good general DC powerpack?

    I'm looking to upgrade the powerpack on my small 4x8 HO layout. I run some older Athearn engines and some don't run with my current powerpack(but they do at the local hobby shop). Not sure the current capacity of my pack as I'm not at home, but its the pack that came with a cheap set and is...
  17. jasonelki

    Loco window extensions

    Well, all things are cyclic! Back to the all weather window... Couple questions about these. Did RR's put only one of these on locos, or was there one on each window? And if there was only one, was there a certain side it was on? Drivers, firemans side, don't ask me which is which...
  18. jasonelki

    White Decals?

    Thanks for the info, I'll try your buddy and see what he can do! Woodland Scenics doesn't have Milw. Rd. specific decals, they do however have roughly the correct sheets that would correspond letter to letter, but I'd have to line up each letter, not sure how much confidence I have in my...
  19. jasonelki

    Removing numbers off Athearn RTR

    I've got an old (70's vintage I'd assume) GP7 that I'd like to get the Milw Rd Herald off and replace with a colored decal. I tried the eraser and it didn't take anything off, maybe I need to really put some elbow grease on it?
  20. jasonelki

    White Decals?

    No dice on microscale, closest item would be the boxcar decals in white. Attempting to contact Milw Rd. Historical Society as I don't see any list of manufacturers, but contact page is not loading for some reason...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top