Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. mopacbuff

    12 X 14 room help

    Doug, New 21 has made it that far south? WOW, I've been gone too long (15 years). Is that old MoPac depot stone or brick? I drove past it numerous times, but never really stopped to look at it. I'd definately like to call you sometime to bs about MoPac, Arcadia and that area in general. When...
  2. mopacbuff

    12 X 14 room help

    Stein, Very interesting concept there, now if I can I can just flesh out the details, that may be what I'm looking for. Doug, Wow, what a great insight into MoPac operations in that area, I'll definately be in touch with you to pick your brain. I've been to Arcadia many, many times, me...
  3. mopacbuff

    12 X 14 room help

    Stein, Thanks for all the helpful links and information. I had already found the missouri depots website and am already planning construction of the Potosi, Mineral Point and Cadet depots. FWIW, my cousin (along with others in my extended family) still lives in Potosi, the old depot is still...
  4. mopacbuff

    12 X 14 room help

    In doing more research into MoPac passenger operations in the 50/60s, I keep coming across photos of MoPac ALCO PAs. They're ugly, but god help me, I love them! I'm going to have to run a couple on my layout. Will an HO PA negotiate 24" curves? This will figure into my layout planning. MPB
  5. mopacbuff

    12 X 14 room help

    Irongrave, I thought about that, and now I'm leaning towards 1960-63. Should give me the best of both worlds as MoPac still had passenger service in a lot of areas. A bit of modelers license wil let me run the trains I want. MPB
  6. mopacbuff

    12 X 14 room help

    Gents, I've been doing a lot of reading and research tonight, and upon further review, I may need to backdate my era into the 50s. This is due to the fact that I want to run a complete passenger train schedule, and MoPac was aggressively discontinuing passenger service by the very early 60s...
  7. mopacbuff

    12 X 14 room help

    Almost forgot, I only anticipate 2 operators, me and my son. When I look at your sketch, I'm thinking town C could be Potosi, town B Mineral Point and A could be Cadet, which would put the yard out in the boonies like I want. MPB
  8. mopacbuff

    12 X 14 room help

    Stein, Great design! Way different than anything I've come up with so far, which is why I posted here for help, fresh eyes = fresh ideas. To some of your points; The attic door is not alterable, this house is 106 years old which would make it a major construction job, plus the arrangement of...
  9. mopacbuff

    First photos of the year

    David, There are no guard rails at this crossing, it's just the rails and asphalt. Might appear that way because of the sun reflection. RJ Corman just rebuilt this crossing over the summer, it used to be made out of ties. MPB
  10. mopacbuff

    First photos of the year

    Today I finally got a day with no rain, so I took my dog and my camera for a walk to the RJ Corman line at the front of my property. It was cold out, but the sun made it bearable since I haven't been out of the house for about 3 days (laid up with a bad back), and while there was no action on...
  11. mopacbuff

    12 X 14 room help

    steinjr, I do have 3 place names in mind, actual towns where the MoPac operated, but I don't plan to make exact replicas of those towns. I'm looking for a branch/secondary type scheme. A train enters from staging, works all 3 towns, then departs back into staging. Several through trains...
  12. mopacbuff

    12 X 14 room help

    Ian, Thanks for looking, I'd also be willing to go down to 22" radius curves, we're only going to run 4 axle units. However, we will be running short passenger trains too, but I think MP equipment for that era/locale will negotiate 22" curves. As far as staging goes, we'd only need maybe 2...
  13. mopacbuff

    12 X 14 room help

    The lower right hand door is the access point into the room, if I have to, I'd remove the door and live with a duckunder. The upper left door goes up to the attic, it's never used, but needs to be usable in case of repairs, etc. So the attic door doesn't need to be "easily" reachable. A...
  14. mopacbuff

    12 X 14 room help

    Gents, I joined the forum about a year ago with the intention of building an HO layout with my son, life intervened and we had to delay construction, but now we're ready to tackle the project in earnest. We have a dedicated 12 X 14" (actually 11'10" x 14') room for our layout and we're...
  15. mopacbuff

    Are cabooses - cabeeses- still used?

    In Canton Ohio, there's a blue Conrail caboose in use by (I assume) CSX. It's a bay window type, in pretty rusty shape, and I think it's used when switching the local steel mills. Not sure if it's a pusher or for crew use, but I see it on the end of trains frequently. Maybe I'll try to get a...
  16. mopacbuff

    Returning after 10 year hiatus. Looking for Oh. modelers

    I'm near Canton/Akron. Just getting back into things after 10+ years. I'd also like to talk to modelers in the area. MPB
  17. mopacbuff

    Railroad Poll

    Missouri Pacific. It's in my blood I guess. Dad worked there in the 70's, uncle and cousin still work in the MoPac car shops in DeSoto Missouri, although now the shops are UP. I love blue diesels and screaming eagles. MPB
  18. mopacbuff

    Layout design help

    Gentlemen, I'd really prefer to stay in HO, as that's what I started with when I was younger and I'm more comfortable with. I tried a google search for the heart of georgia layout with no luck, all I came up with were broken links. I've been doodling on paper and I might have some...
  19. mopacbuff

    Layout design help

    Gentlemen, By way of introduction, I used to model in HO scale about 20 years ago, then moved on to other things like trap shooting and IPSC competition. My son, now almost 14, has shown an interest in model railroading, so I'm jumping back in. A lot has changed since I was last active in the...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top