Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. D

    My first attempt

    Stein is usually very thorough in his planning, so I may be missing something with his thinking, but I don't think the slip switch is essential to the yard in your situation. If you replaced it with a simple turnout (like the RH one that comes off the main right there by the slip) you could...
  2. D

    layout design

    Golly Jim, There are a whole bunch of track plans that could incorporate those features. It sounds like you may have limited your research to that one book, deciding to pick the best one out of the limited selection that would fit your space. That layout may be just fine for you...
  3. D

    My first attempt

    Very nice Kevin, Love the yard. As another poster has mentioned, try to have some low buildings along the front edge in spots, just for visual effect. Personally, in the north/south switching area, I would extend the runaround to the south by using a left hand turnout where the curve...
  4. D

    layout design

    Jim, Another question(s) to ask is....Why do you like this layout? What specific elements within this layout appeal to you that made you choose it over other alternatives? Perhaps members can incorporate those elements into a design that is a better use of available space.
  5. D

    Proto 2000 SW9/1200 new run vs. old?

    Buy the older one for $50. There is not $120 worth of difference. The new version will not run any better than the older version, since the older version is one of the better running locomotives around. No cracked gear issue with the proto sw issue to worry about. As another has mentioned...
  6. D

    Back With Another Design Try

    To the extent that my post was the inspiration for your comment.... In your original plan, I suggested that you have the spurs come off from the siding. A pretty clear comment. What I see now is that you have a second and third main line coming off from the siding, and a spur coming off of the...
  7. D

    Back With Another Design Try

    Dave, As far as what direction switches should face, it doesn't really matter in this sense: I suggested that if you wanted to do some switching, have the spurs come off of the siding. That way when a locomotive is pulling one car, for instance, and it is facing the turnout that the car needs...
  8. D

    Back With Another Design Try

    Dave, I would eliminate any S curve where two pieces of curved track make the S, with no straight section in between. Cars uncouple at the S because the front of one car is heading in the opposite direction from the back of the other. A general rule is to have a straight section that is at...
  9. D

    Back With Another Design Try

    Dave, You don't need a theme or a goal, I just didn't want to make a specific comment in case you had. I would eliminate any S curves, definitely. In case you might want to drop off cars or do some switching in the future, it might make more sense to have some spurs come off of the...
  10. D

    Spectacular layout on an 8x6

    Looks like some fine progress. Did you notice the kink in the one track in the yard? The next to last picture. It may not cause you too many problems, but that spot looks a bit untidy relative to the rest of your fine track work.
  11. D

    Back With Another Design Try

    Not understanding your total goals for your layout, I would say the bottom half poses no real problems. I don't understand the arrangement of the spurs in the center part of the upper half, especially the two that butt together to form the mainline: 1.) It looks like it forms a nasty S...
  12. D

    Need help with around the walls layout plan...

    Randy, The size and shape of your benchwork is a lot like mine, mainly 2 feet wide with smallish blobs for turn back loops. A few points: 1). I would use sectional track for long curves of consistently tight radius, like the loops. Flex track will work, but I think its easier to build a...
  13. D

    Cracked axle gears on Proto 2000

    No. But the SW's axle gears should not be cracked since they are of a different design than the GP's. I don't know about the FA. If they have the same truck design as the GP then they are likely cracked too, and can be fixed with the same gears as the GP.
  14. D

    Newbie layout help (HO Scale)

    Whoa buddy. Learning as much as you can about benchwork is great, but we haven't really determined if a doughnut will even fit that well. You might have to go with a D and just have an access hatch in the middle. Your layout is small enough that you can probably lay some track or templates of...
  15. D

    Newbie layout help (HO Scale)

    Welcome. Michael has provided you with some great information and advice so far. I hope I can help too. The biggest challenge is working the sharpish curves into the space, combined with longish passenger cars. I would make a D shaped layout. If you keep the sharper curves at the top...
  16. D

    price increases again

    Very well said Crandell. I also like your ideas of needs and wants. I've been in the financial services industry for over 25 years and I can tell you one thing is for sure: The entire concept of money is phony. Occasionally, you can trade it for things you need and other merchandise; but...
  17. D

    HOYARDSALES a Joke!!!!

    As I'm sure you know, there is a big difference between a new Intermountain grain hopper and a 1970's TYCO hopper that was decorated in the pretty blue and white JELL-O scheme, so I can see how the moderator would want you to be more specific. If the tyco also had its stirrups shaved off, would...
  18. D

    HOYARDSALES a Joke!!!!

    Just an observation here, but it seems like the poster(s) who have problems with HOyard sale have a bit of trouble will spelling and grammar, moreso than most. This isn't a spelling nazi thing, or a condescending thing, but any time you send money over the internet in order to receive...
  19. D

    Why DCC?

    I know what you're saying about realistic operation and I value it tremendously. That's why chose my power pack and locomotives the way I did. My railpower 1370 does just fine with my Kato's, Atlas's and broken-in, regeared, and de-peanut-buttered P2K's and my Athearns (which have poorer slow...
  20. D

    Why DCC?

    For whatever reason, the DC/DCC discussions get charged up like its a political debate or something. It all comes down to interests and how you want to spend your time and money. And even how you socialize. I'm sure there are social motivations as well, like not wanting to be the last in your...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top