Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. D

    My track plan, finally... Would appreciate some critique/advice.

    I'm glad Stein showed up to give the proper explanation for the crossing. An idea to make it seem more prototypical...if you're interested.... You could scenic the tracks in such a way as to make that crossing track appear like a former mainline of another railroad that's been repurposed...
  2. D

    Thoughts on bench design for new layout

    Ian: I like the plan and the benchwork. I agree with the other Doug about the S curve near the mine. Also, the turnout is right after the tunnel, meaning your train will be in the tunnel when switching the mine. You know, other than because you might want one, I really don't see a need...
  3. D

    My track plan, finally... Would appreciate some critique/advice.

    As Cajon as mentioned, the spur/crossing combo is redundant. Stein contributes to this forum so he may be able to explain better. I think the original plan by the designer required a crossing since its angle was steeper than what a turnout could provide, or, to make the spur long enough. I...
  4. D

    DC operators

    As far as introducing variables into a conversation, what about the feature of lighting effects? What are we talking here, just a strobe, or fully loaded alternating ditch lights? Great, a decoder can alternate the ditch lights. However, does the reader's locomotive even have operating...
  5. D

    DC operators

    You have all made very good points. Most of the information contained in them I've already strongly suspected. In fact, with most electronic products these days, the features and capabilities dictate price, not component quality. However, I also believe that it takes more complexity to make a...
  6. D

    DC operators

    You also need to be sure that responders to your questions are comparing apples to apples. Do you want to spend $20 for a decoder that works, or one that works well. Technology may have advanced considerably since the last time I read about it, but I recall cheap decoders having a reliability...
  7. D

    Proto 2000 GP38-2 HO Motor

    Eric, The stop and go issue sounds like an electrical contact issue. Intermittent breaks in the supply due to a loose wire somewhere in the locomotive or possibly dirty wheels or dirty track. As far as slowness, I believe that is a characteristic of the earlier runs of the P2K GP38-2, due...
  8. D

    The complete book of Model Railroading.

    I got that book in about 1977 from Waldenbooks. Still have it. Loved the pictures when I was a kid. Might have to look through it again some day.
  9. D

    I can't believe

    Hue variation would help a lot. But not having defined division lines between the hues and colors is key. The rocks you have glued have a variety of hues, but only in the gray and tan colors. You can simulate this. Take your gray and your tan, add some white and black to each. That would...
  10. D

    newbie starting out

    Any helper at this point is probably going to envision a big circle of track. I suggest you research various plans, of what ever size, and find some elements or scenes that you like, and string them together around the room. You'll get more input from more people if you draw a plan and post it.
  11. D

    newbie starting out

    Welcome! A few things to address before you start with the details: It looks like you've definitely maximized the available space, but I'm not a big fan of 24 inch aisles. I would only have one 2 x 4 module jutting into the middle instead of 2. A 4x4 space it a bit awkward to use anyway...
  12. D

    All right, "Here We Go!"

    I think you need to really consider how much you want to put up and take down modules to access the doors. Your tolerance level for that might be quite a bit higher than mine, but five doors would require me to move layout parts more often than I would like. This might be a situation where...
  13. D

    Ideas for curved bridge

    Yes. Good job finding that photo.
  14. D

    Ideas for curved bridge

    As armchair noted, curved plate girder bridges are not likely to be found on the prototype. They are a series of straight sections set at appropriate angles and joined together. Way too expensive to make the plates themselves curved. A stone arch bridge could be curved, like a trestle...
  15. D

    New around the walls layout

    Congrats on settling on a trackplan. It looks simple, realistic, and fun. I look forward to watching and reading about your progress.
  16. D

    DC operators

    Yes, its difficult to explain one's own opinion without implicitly criticizing the alternatives. That's not my intention. I'll stop typing now...
  17. D

    DC operators

    C'mon Byron, why does it matter, as long as long as the person doesn't say that dc installation is easy, or that DCC systems eliminate complexity? I've never said either, anywhere. Its not necessary to have wired a multiple train all over the layout, DC model railroad to understand it is a...
  18. D

    Third times a charm - W&J

    A few points: I know you're just talkin', but manufacturers' don't make dummy engines anymore. Gone are the days when Athearn used to provide the effect you want by making gutless locomotives for about half the price of powered ones. Or, you can simply take a powered locomotive and disconnect...
  19. D

    My track plan, finally... Would appreciate some critique/advice.

    I see, it seems like your situation is well thought out... My main point is that I think the walkway and op pit create an opportunity to try to have a deeper than normal shelf along the south side since you'll have access on both sides. But you'll want to keep the outside reserved for aspects...
  20. D

    DC operators

    Hmmm...maybe I miswrote something upstream, but I think most readers got the gist of my point. This isn't a DC or DCC comparison thread. I was only comparing what type of equipment it would take for my layout to accomplish the same thing in DC or DCC. Yes, in addition to controlling each of...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top