Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. stokesda

    HO scale = what in inches?

    1:87 is the scale ratio, which means that a linear measurement of 1 actual unit is equal to 87 times the scale measurement. For example, one real foot equals 87 scale HO feet. But the ratio works for any linear unit of measurement, whether it's inches, meters, millimeters, miles, furlongs, or...
  2. stokesda

    Ebay...seems like fun until you get got...

    Amen to that... A lot of people bash eBay because of bad experiences they've had, but in reality eBay itself had nothing to do with it. Usually it's a simple case of unscrupulous individuals who just happen to be using eBay. There's an old saying, "caveat emptor" or "let the buyer beware." I...
  3. stokesda

    Locomotive Display Cases.

    If you're looking for a small case for a single loco, check the model airplane/car section of your LHS or wherever else that sells those things. They sometimes sell 2-piece plastic display cases for models in various dimensions - you might find one that might fit a locomotive. Also check...
  4. stokesda

    Just a little vent! (Walthers)

    If anybody's still interested, I believe the correct Athearn axle gear part # is 60024. This is the one that should also work in P2K 4-axle locos. http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH60024 You can probably get them from a variety of online hobby sources; you don't have...
  5. stokesda

    Air brush question

    One other thing I didn't mention in my earlier post: Just to narrow down your search, two common airbrush models for beginners are the Paasche H and the Badger 200. You may ultimately decide on something different, but these are good starting points for shopping. Good luck!
  6. stokesda

    Air brush question

    jo- You're on the right track - don't feel overwhelmed by the world of airbrushes. If you already have an air compressor, you're one step ahead already. (However, your air compressor should be one that has an air tank, and not one of those cheap plastic ones that you plug into a car...
  7. stokesda

    Diesel Detailers

    Toy Train Heaven has a pretty good selection, as does Caboose Hobbies and Discount Trains Online. Not sure if any of them take Paypal, but I think at least one of them does. All take credit cards, though. IIRC, Cannon is owned by the same folks that own Bowser/Stewart, and they are the same...
  8. stokesda

    How to DCC decoder installs

    You might try the "DCC for Beginners" file at Tony's Train Exchange www.tonystrainexchange.com When it comes down to it, basically all decoder installations are the same. You have to ensure the motor is electrically isolated from the frame, then just connect the wires to the appropriate...
  9. stokesda

    Grain Operations Help

    There was also a recent episode of "Dirty Jobs" on Discovery Channel where he was cleaning out a grain storage bin. I learned a lot about how the bin works, and how the grain is transported in and out of it. I'm sure they'll show the rerun repeatedly over the next couple of weeks.
  10. stokesda

    Cheaper acrillic paint

    These questions were asked before, but I didn't see a straightforward answer to them, so I'll ask again.... Does anyone use these cheap acrylic paints in an airbrush? If so, what do you use them for? Can they be used to paint locos and rolling stock? Or just for weathering, scenery, etc...
  11. stokesda

    Locomotive Camera's

    Micro-Mark carries something that can be installed in a loco or piece of rolling stock: http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=83740 Not sure if anybody makes any pre-installed N-scale camera locos or cars (I'm an HO guy and don't know...
  12. stokesda

    Radio Controlled Layout???

    I'm no expert, but I believe this is already happening in G scale (any G-scalers out there care to comment?) This topic comes up from time to time on various forums, and the main problem is the size of the stuff you'd have to put in a locomotive and the lack of space available for it (I'm...
  13. stokesda

    The term Pike !

    A-HA! I think I have an answer, as I remember recently reading about this very topic! As explained by Carl Swanson in the August 2007 "Model Railroader," p. 20: "A pike is an ancient infantry weapon, a pointed metal head on a long thin wooden shaft. In the old days, private companies built...
  14. stokesda

    minimum switch frog radius number for 4-8-4?

    Keep in mind the Atlas #4's are actually #4.5's, and so are not as sharp a turn as an actual #4. So a loco that can make it through an Atlas #4 won't necessarily make it through a #4 from a different manufacturer. For what it's worth, I have a Bowser 4-8-4 that can negotiate an Atlas #4 - at...
  15. stokesda

    Weekend photo fun 31st Aug - 2nd Sept

    I didn't get any modeling done this week, because we were on the road all week to Glacier NP and back, via Great Falls, MT. It was a great trip, and now I'm all motivated to ride the Emprie Builder from Seattle to Chicago! Here's a few railfan photos I took when the opportunities presented...
  16. stokesda

    Fastrack

    Yeah, there's a very good tutorial on how to do this in the Kalmbach (Model Railroader magazine) book "Trackwork and Lineside Details."
  17. stokesda

    Fastrack

    Are you talking about this? www.handlaidtrack.com If so, I can tell you that I don't have first hand knowledge of it, but have heard a lot of good reviews of it from other people. There's discussions about it from time to time on the Model Railroader forums. The only down side to the...
  18. stokesda

    Atlas Turnout Question

    I assume you're talking about the Custom Line type of turnouts. As far as I know, Atlas only makes one size of wye turnout, which I think has a #4 (or 4.5?) angle frog - should be OK for your use. As for the other turnouts, I'd go with a #6 minimum for what you're using. Atlas also...
  19. stokesda

    Can LEDs be used with SoundTraxx 'LC' decoders?

    Rex, OK, you busted me :D I'm by no means an expert on electricity. I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I am a civil engineer by education, and electrical stuff has always baffled me. Now that you mention it, I do remember learning way back in high school (or maybe it was...
  20. stokesda

    Sound suggestions????????

    Raymond, You are correct in that Soundtraxx DSX decoders are sound only, and have pretty specific sounds on them. Because of the specific sounds, there are several different versions available, based on your particular locomotive needs. You will need the Digitrax (or other brand) motor...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top