ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
N
There was only one of these units- it was the X3800, it was the shop switcher at Deer Lodge. It was operated by an extension cord to power it- its only job was to move engines in and out of the shops at Deer Lodge. The locomotive was acquired by the historical society that also restored the...
-
N
4279 never wore Zito Yellow- the Zito is just patch painting were spot repairs were made. Many other CNW units also got this same treatment- the 4279 is unique though as it was one of the few CNW's GP7s (1566) that recieved a chop nose in the 1960s instead of during its program rebuild at...
-
N
Time to dust off this thread again!!
I finally got around to installing the Plano roofwalks on my Intermountain PS4750 hopper PTLX 14944. I custom made the PTLX and "Crawford Grain" decals in Adobe Illustrator- I used Microscale ACI tags, COTS label and some white data for the hopper bays and...
-
N
In between work and out of town travel for work I've been able to get a few more cars done for the layout- the first I finished is another Milwaukee Road airslide from the Athearn model. I made the decals in Adobe Illustrator just like the first one I did- the difference is this car is from the...
-
N
Hi Todd,
The color of the Woodward cars was a deeper orange than Milwaukee Road orange- here is a builders photo of one of the Woodward cars
that shows how much darker the orange is.
http://trainweb.org/mopac/ptlx34198.jpg
There are some of these cars still floating around in their...
-
N
Depending on clearances en route- bi-level autoracks could be loaded with either trucks, vans or cars. Likewise for tri-levels, I have quite a few photos of mixed loads of small trucks, cars and station wagons on the same tri-level. Out east where the clearances were lower, you'd see more...
-
N
Ted,
After I print out the decals on an HP printer with waterproof inks, I sealed them with the Testor's Decal Sealant. Thanks for the compliment on the car!
Matt Holman
Spring, TX
-
N
I managed to get another car done this week- this time it is an Athearn airslide lettered for the Milwaukee Road. The car was stripped (started as a WP car) and painted aluminum, the decaled with home-made MILW decals (from Adobe Illustrator), ACI and Lube plates from Microscale, Kadee couplers...
-
N
50' Airslides-
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=214061
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=165561
Green 2893 CUFT hopper-
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1315155
It is a little time consuming- but a "Rolling Stock" search...
-
N
More boxcar fun from some cars I've done in the past-
CNW 50' waffle-side boxcar Walthers kit- with seperate grabs, Details West cushion coupler pockets, air hoses, uncoupling levers, Kadee 58s, metal wheels, and Oddballs decals.
Rock Island 50' PS-1 Intermountain Kit- detailed with...
-
N
This marks the first time I've actually posted to WPF- although I've lurked it for quite a long time looking at all the great stuff posted every week.
I got around to finishing two more cars this weekend- the first is a custom painted ACFX 33K tank car with home-made decals, Kadee #58s and...
-
N
The DF means "Damage Free"- which was one of several kinds of load restraint devices inside the boxcar to hold the load in place from shifting in transit. The "XML" AAR code on the car indicates it is equipped with either load dividers, load restraint belts, perforated side walls with rub rails...
-
N
Rico,
The trucks I used are the old Malibu "Reel Rides" Chevy C-10s that were sold at Wal-Mart about 4 years ago. I managed to find about 25 of them before they disappeared from the shelves- I still keep an eye out for them at train shows and swap meets. I had read somewhere that Motormax...
-
N
Chris,
The Sophisticated Finishes solution consists of two bottles- one is a paint with metal in it that is painted on the object first. After that dries you paint a "rusting" agent liquid over that to make it oxidize. When I add the rusting agent, I layer it on and scrub it around to get it...
-
N
Chris,
I used Sophisticated Finishes Rust Solution- you can buy it at Michael's Craft Store. When I apply it, I water down the metal "paint" you put on first about 50/50. After the base coat dries, I go over it with the "rust" solution with a couple light washes, as it's still wet I add...
-
N
Been a little quiet on this thread recently- so I thought I'd throw some of my boxcar and hopper shots into the mix to get it going again.
First up is a CNW painted M&StL 40' boxcar (Red Caboose kit)-
And a "Route of the 400 Streamliners" boxcar (McKean kit)-
both were done with...
-
N
Here's a couple autoracks I've loaded with some of the old die-cast cars from Wal-Mart.
Most of the cars/trucks were stripped and repainted into other colors from the actual AMC and Chevrolet color charts for those models - the Milwaukee Road bilevel is scratchbuilt on an Athearn 85'...
-
N
Thanks for the compliments guys-
Josh- I add alternate washes of solution and water to the rust finish to get the differences in rust color. It takes a little tweaking to get it to look "right"
Here is a larger version of the shot as requested by Zoegraf-
-
N
Here is one that I have done- a 65' Athearn gondola with scratchbuilt bulkheads to represent one of the Chicago and North Western's PRIDE program gons that were in captive crushed automobile service. Lettered with Oddball decals, and the interior is done with Sophisticated Finishes rust...
-
N
Should be an ex-CITX SD9043MAC for the Permian Basin Railway's Texas-New Mexico Railroad. The TNM should be stenciled on the locomotive's nose by the road number. The railroad is a wholly owned subsidiary of Iowa Pacific holdings- the same folks who own the Arizona Eastern railroad, which...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)