ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
H
Here is two freshly painted models. My kitbashed CN Dash 2W and a new Atlas GP-40 to be decorated as an Illinois Central Operation Lifesaver unit.
-
H
Thanks guys for your comments. I which I add more space (and $$$) to build a larger layout but I found this small plan to be interesting enough to keep me busy for a while. Scenery alone is taking a lot of time and I doubt I would have enough patience to do scenery work on a larger layout ...
-
H
Here some basic painting done.
I also replaced the old Athearn Blue Box motor/drive/trucks with newer RTR parts. The wheels are now 40" instead of the oversize 42" and it is a big improvement in the overall appearance of the model.
I applied a base coat of Floquil (solvent based) primer...
-
H
Model is ready for painting, will post pictures when done.
-
H
Great projects, you have really nice locos !
-
H
I was searching a way to run my Walthers RTR Gold Line 86' boxcar on a 18" radius curve leading to my yard. These car are made for 24" radius and the don't turn well on anything under 22" so I removed material on the underframe (see red dot on the pic) to gives more wheel clearance to the...
-
H
I think it look better now.
-
H
Jim, I was planning to add rocky sides with a small creek at the bottom. The small canyon is about 20 scale feet depth per 40 feet wide. I plan to put handrails along the tracks to keep my train crew from falling over the edge. I will try to do a realistic scene in this compact space.
-
H
The culverts are installed, next I will start modeling the creek leading to the bridge.
-
H
Here it is with my new step assembly. After many design changes, I finally got it right to my taste. The anticlimber is a little wide but I will correct that later.
-
H
No problem SGS, its great to have your input on this post ! You have very nice models !!!!
My kitbash went wrong, my last change was a complete failure since the steps ended way too narrow so I decided to build new steps ! :mad:
Hopefully, I found a databook of CN locos and got some basic...
-
H
After comparing my last pictures and real photos, I noticed that my steps and anticlimber were too large so I took my razor saw I cut the steps. I also made a new anticlimber !
I think now it will look more accurate.
Have to take a break since this mod will drive me crazy ! LOL :D
-
-
H
Hopefully, all the complex modifications are done ! :)
-
H
I put shim under the shell so now the loco sit higher over the frame. When I will replace the wheels with 40" (Athearn use 42" wheels on their blue box models) it should be close to the correct height...I hope.
I also added strip under the skirt, make new jack pads and coupler blocks...
-
H
SGS your models are really awesome :eek: !! very nice work !!!
Thanks for the motivation but I rather say its a very big challenge since I don't think I can achieve your level of accuracy.
I found out today that by removing the front frame portion my model start to look much better. I...
-
H
Here is some progress : I made a battery box, a non-dynamic cover, step wells, I enlarged the pilots and I also installed new intertial filter screens. Next, I will add the steps, anticlimbers.
-
-
H
CN GP40-2LW project revisited
A CN fleet is not complete without a GP-40-2LW. I reserved the new Atlas model but since they will start to ship the item only around Feb 2010, I decided to start this project in the meantime after my failed attempt to build an accurate model in March.
I'm...
-
H
Julien
To respond to your question about the cab. My model is one of the early Dash 9-44CWL (EF-644a) bought by the CN in 1994. In late 1997 early 1998 they start to get the new version with the 2 windows confort cab (EF-644b,c,d...).
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)