Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. B

    Atlas Big Layout Book, HO 35, Berkshire Valley Route

    1/2 of New Track Down, Problem Surfaces Photo 1, I have modified the "bridge" half track of the new reverse track section. I originally planned to use a RIGHT turn-out at this location; however, as you can see in the photo, the LEFT one gave me the correct angle for the straight track crossing...
  2. B

    Atlas Big Layout Book, HO 35, Berkshire Valley Route

    According to Atlas RR, HO division, Good to Go! Bruce, That is a 2.25% grade which is good. Your under 2.6% which is excellent. -----Original Message----- To: Ted Reimlinger Subject: Re: #35 Berkshire valley route Ted, The turnout is approximately 1/2 higher than the bridge because of...
  3. B

    HO Car Derailments

    "The Keyboard is Mightier Than The Sword!" ...........................are just dishonest. This is an email I sent to one of the two companies that lost one of my 'Returns:" Since I placed order #199785, I have not received my credit card REFUND for the returned caboose (RMA1400); this...
  4. B

    Atlas Big Layout Book, HO 35, Berkshire Valley Route

    This Atlas "Birkshire Vally Route" layout is constructed with one "reverse" track. One of the improvements I was considering is a 2nd reverse track on the opposite side of the layout. I've attached four views of my proposed 2nd reverse track location; I don't know if it's plausible and would...
  5. B

    Upgrading Turn-out Switch Machines

    Rail-Yard Turn-out....continued ...........more photos.
  6. B

    Upgrading Turn-out Switch Machines

    Rail-Yard Turn-out Upgrade Complete I finally finished upgrading all the turn-out motors in the rail-yard. In addition, I have installed two additional cross-overs (4 turn-outs), on the two longest tracks in the yard; this will give my yard a "Arrival and Depart" track. My next modification to...
  7. B

    HO Car Derailments

    Better Quality Usually Isolate the Frame According to my Digital Voltmeter the frame is hot, this is how I located the problem. When I put one of the DCC decoder's input to ground the engine runs with the decoder installed with no problems. Cheap locomotives do it this way, the better more...
  8. B

    HO Car Derailments

    Answer My Own Question The error was mine for not noting the electrical connections on this engine before taking it apart. In the photo you see the two electrical connections for the wheel pick-ups (silver tabs), they both go to the same rail; the other track rail goes to the locomotive's...
  9. B

    HO Car Derailments

    Did Something Wrong I finally received my replacement gears and installed them. I obviously put something back wrong, because now both truck's electrical pick-ups are going to the same rail? Any advise on how to correct this would be appreciated.
  10. B

    HO Car Derailments

    Track Cleaning Freight Car I had asked previously about track cleaning products in this thread, without getting any hits on personal usage. With this, I tried the least expensive first, I ordered a track cleaning freight car offered by Walthers. The results with this one car were so good, I...
  11. B

    HO Car Derailments

    Thank you, just what the doctor ordered.
  12. B

    HO Car Derailments

    Proto 2000 gear problems The gears on the front truck of my original Life-Like Proto 2000 GP18 are broken. From what I understand this is a common problem that can be repaired with Athearn gears; does anyone have the Athearn part number?
  13. B

    Upgrading Turn-out Switch Machines

    Progress I've revamped my "rail-yard" and installed 6 of the 12 turn-out upgrades. Each of the upgraded turn-outs now has an electrified frog and LED turn-out indicators. When this phase is complete, before going on to the rest of the layout's turn-outs, I would like to install some "magnetic...
  14. B

    HO Car Derailments

    My tracks are soldered yet, if it's necessary I will do it. My new Athearn Genesis is at the factory, when I get back if I have the same problems with it, I will start soldering. If not, then it might be the old style decoder. I have a new style decoder on order for a locomotive, when I install...
  15. B

    HO Car Derailments

    Mrc MRC is quickly going to the top of my "do not buy" list. After ordered their Prodigy, Squared Two new DCC system, I found more problems with it in one day than in the 10 years I've owned the Command 2000. All loco's lights are ALWAYS going out and now I loose control of loco's and have to...
  16. B

    HO Car Derailments

    Brand New Locomotive According to MRC, my Command 2000 can't control ANY sounds. The engine is the latest, it's only a week old. There are some issues with it that I haven't been able to correct with my new MRC Prodigy. Even installing the correct "data" in the "CV" didn't help. I'm returning...
  17. B

    HO Car Derailments

    Upgrading DCC I am very happy with my 10 year old MRC Command 2000 DCC controller. One drawback is it can't control the sounds of my new Athearn Genesis F45 locomotive. Does anyone know if the amber light above the cab on this engine is suppose to work? The separate sound controller that came...
  18. B

    HO Car Derailments

    NEW Rail-Yard I had initially thought of that but there isn't enough room for the jig. What I decided to do is rip out the turn-table and make a working rail-yard out of that area. I was lucky, my original design is close to what I need, so there isn't too much to rip apart. I want to develop...
  19. B

    HO Car Derailments

    The turn-table is lying flat on the plywood, not just its outer wall.
  20. B

    HO Car Derailments

    Atlas Turn-Table TOO high I have used the Atlas turn-table on two difference layouts. On the first one I used "cork" roadbed; the hight of the roadbed and turntable was the same. On my present layout I used the gray sponge roadbed. With this roadbed the Atlas turn-table sits approximate...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top