Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. waredbear

    Sound in a Dummy unit

    Sound in a dummy unit....only when I have beans. :D
  2. waredbear

    New York and Long Branch in HO

    Awesome layout....the envy of a lot here I'm sure...including me. Great photo layout on your progress. Keep us posted...but in the meantime you take care of your wife. My wife had breast cancer so I know how this will take you away from the train. You be with her and help her all you can and...
  3. waredbear

    Son-in-law's Layout

    Oh he is. We had to make several track adjustments before I left. He called me two days later to say that different cars and engines were having problems at different parts of the track. He was going around and making the adjustments so they all passed without issue. The rerailers are there just...
  4. waredbear

    Son-in-law's Layout

    Just spent spring break with my duaghter and family. My son-in-law has wanted a layout for ever. He collects LGB for a backyard layout one day. He finally broke down and built an HO in the office. He had the benchwork completed, the elevated platforms up and the "grass" laid when I arrived. It...
  5. waredbear

    FWC RR is nearing final benchwork construction.

    A lot less track. The other one was looking pretty good. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
  6. waredbear

    Lessons learned!

    Okay...I'll take the bait...what "good 'nuff for now" story do you have to tell. :D
  7. waredbear

    Pics of the stuff I bought....Do you thinik I got a good deal?????

    Why are the loco's junk?
  8. waredbear

    how did you pick a rail line

    For me I didn't grow up next to or even close to a railroad. My dad didn't work on one or did his dad. I had a Sante Fe growing up but I think the "fun" only lasted a year or two....until we moved out on the farm. For me it was my son-in-law who got me going with trains...that and my grandsons...
  9. waredbear

    Brand New

    Don't forget to keep us posted with pictures, lots of picture, and a story.
  10. waredbear

    Wiring my layout

    Lookin good. :) You are moving right along. Keep the pictures coming.
  11. waredbear

    Wiring my layout

    If you want to run DC you will need to add more track isolators (blocks) that the four you have shown. As a minimum you will need to isolate the yard from you two mail lines so you can do track work (forward/reverse) without effecting the two mains. The same would hold true for your passing...
  12. waredbear

    Pass or Fail "Grades"

    Percent of grade is percent of grade no matter if you are talking real, HO, or N. A 3% rise is 3' per 100' or 3" per 100". That is the way I see it.
  13. waredbear

    New layout after a 25 year vacation

    Grades are easy to understand if you break them down. A three percent grade for a car is a 3' drop in the road in 100'. That of course is too long for a train layout but we can use the same equation if we reduce it to inches...3" rise or fall in 100". So if we break it down... 3" in 100" =...
  14. waredbear

    Brand New

    Good choice on DCC. Another thing to watch out for when going DCC is how the engine is equipped. The train loco will either be DC, which means it is not DCC ready. You will have to open the engine up, cut wires, isolate the motor(s) and solder in a DCC circuit board to make it DCC. Then there...
  15. waredbear

    Brand New

    The one point or decision I haven't seen mentioned is how do you want to control your train? Do you want to use DC or DCC? DC is cheaper but has limitations and can be a bear to wire depending on the size and complexity of your layout. With DC you can only control one train at a time unless you...
  16. waredbear

    Reason for what I do.

    Thanks for the warning. I knew the difference between the nickel silver and steel. I also knew the steel would need to be cleaned. I'm planning on putting the steel track in the yard area only. I didn't know there was a height difference in the track. I am having problems with that at the yard...
  17. waredbear

    Reason for what I do.

    Track Came In The two orders of Bachmann E-Z Track came in yesterday and today. I removed the figure 8 I made to make room for a new lay-out. I saw this basic loop inside a loop on the back of a MRR magizine and thought I could do that. I added the yard to the right and the spur to the left...
  18. waredbear

    New layout after a 25 year vacation

    Watched your video...looks good. I can't wait to see how this progresses. We like to see pictures...lots of pictures, and videos are nice too.
  19. waredbear

    Reason for what I do.

    I ended up with some $$$ for my birthday and my daughter told me that "I had to use the money to buy train stuff"...:D...no problem. I was torn between a DCC system and some more E-Z track. I decided to go with the track so we can make different layouts on the floor untill I can clear out a...
  20. waredbear

    Uncoupling tools

    We went to Golden Coral last Sunday and had some of their scollops wrapped in bacon. They have a small wooden skewer holding them all together. I had everybody give me the skewers when they were done. They were free if you don't count the cost of the meal.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top