Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. davidpen

    Help with my University project - Freight Car Routing for Model Railroads

    Hi everyone. I am currently on my last module to complete a B.Sc. Hons. at The Open University. I am studying "The Computing and IT Project". Well, it is not so much studying as we have to design and complete a project of our own design. I have decided to create a tablet based system that...
  2. davidpen

    Under Construction - Birmingham UK

    How about this one then. This is the latest Class 70 which is now occasionally passing over the rail bridge right next to my model shop in Ipswich, UK, on its way to Felixstowe with up to 30 container wagons. These are made by GE in the US and planned to replace the current Class 66...
  3. davidpen

    Why is the hobby in trouble?

    I own a model shop in Ipswich, UK - what you would calla Mom and Pop shop given that I run it with my wife. We specialise in scale plastic kits but see the same problems as the US, I guess. Within our town, we have three model shops! One is a large general store that really specialises in Radio...
  4. davidpen

    Sick to my stomach.

    We stopped chipping N Scale when it got to about 1 hour per loco - we were charging £12 = $20. A lot of N Scale locos have split chassis where the metal halves compress the motor brush connections. This involves milling out the frames to expose the brush connections. You then find that there...
  5. davidpen

    Railroad Poll

    HO Layout is short line circa 45 - inspired by The Tweetsie but not narrow gauge. N Scale is very freelance but uses New Haven locos and caboose due to a connection with a friend in CT (I live in the UK) David
  6. davidpen

    SPROG 2, does anyone use it?

    Just pulled my Sprog out for the first time for about a year - mind you I haven't had my railroad running much in that time. I have hooked it up to my new N scale layout and will try and run that from the Sprog later this weekend. I will report progress.
  7. davidpen

    Show us your special rides

    At least this is modelling: These are some pics of a model I made for a friend of mine in Windsor Locks, CT (I live in the UK). It was his Xmas present.
  8. davidpen

    Show Your Face

    This is me!
  9. davidpen

    Walthers 90' Turntable

    I had a lot of trouble and finally, I reworked the connection to the track but bending the brass fingers around each brass collar. I then, effectively, tied them back to the outer edge of the box with tinned copper wire and tightened this up. So far I have good contact. I could not get the...
  10. davidpen

    Sound on a DCC Nscale switching layout

    There is NO rom inside a GE 44 tonner for anything other than the integrated DCC chip that Bachmann supply. I take your point about the speaker but there is no reason why I can't run it through the baseboard and put it inside a building. I can then use the inside of the building like a speaker...
  11. davidpen

    Sound on a DCC Nscale switching layout

    I have a small 5' x 1'3" layout (see my blog at http://www.gmrblog.co.uk). I have two of the new Bachmann 44ton switchers and I operate using a Lenz Compact controller. I do have a have a much more sophisticated controller on my main HO layout if need be. I have seen an advert for the...
  12. davidpen

    Replacing Bachmann 44-ton N Scale Couplers

    Ah ha! I got my new issue of MR today (I am in the UK) and there was the article. No wonder I hadn't seen it. I have ordered some Micro Trains couplers so we will see how I get on. Thanks for the help. David
  13. davidpen

    Craftsman Coach Kits - help!

    Pretty much what I thought. I am not sure that I can justify 3 months on three coaches, though. Thanks for the help and advice. David
  14. davidpen

    Custom decals - where to go

    I got this from him back in December: "Thank you for your interest in our decal services. Unfortunately, I sustained an injury which will keep me from working for the next 2-3 months. I would be happy to discuss your decal needs after February 2010." I had forgotten the contact so I have...
  15. davidpen

    Replacing Bachmann 44-ton N Scale Couplers

    I will check through my MR copies. All I have to do now is find someone that stocks them in the UK or find a shop that will ship here for a reasonable cost. Thanks for the pointer David
  16. davidpen

    Custom decals - where to go

    Thanks for that but they have discontinued their custom service :-( David
  17. davidpen

    Custom decals - where to go

    I am sure that this has been asked before but I can't find anything in the search. I am modelling a 1945 circa short line and need to decal up the locos, coaches and caboose. I have a colour laser printer but I want the decals to be white so I need someone with a ALPS or that makes normal...
  18. davidpen

    Craftsman Coach Kits - help!

    I am building a small 10' x 8' HO short line railroad, circa 1945 - inspired by 'Mixed Train Daily' by Lucius Beebe. In a fit of enthusiasm, or stupidity, I bought 2 La Belle and 1 NorthEastern coach/combine kits. Having opened them, I can see that I am going to need some advice. I am...
  19. davidpen

    Replacing Bachmann 44-ton N Scale Couplers

    I have just started a small switching layout in N Scale - and I have two Bachmann 44 Ton GE switchers. These are the latest ones with DCC fitted. I find that the couplers don't work too well but I have made it worse. I ran one of the locos off the end of the layout, while I was testing the DCC...
  20. davidpen

    DCC Deciphering

    If your N Scale layout is small, you can put a sound chip under the baseboard and feed it into a speaker there. Give it the same CV as the loco and you will get coordinated sound. Doesn't work on a large layout but should sound good on a small one. David




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top