Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. 4

    Athearn DCC ready locos

    So its not really a fact any more? What kinda wheels are they using now? My whole thought was that there is a store in CT that sells these pretty cheap. And a decoder is especially easy to throw in them so it would be a reasonably cheap way to put together a fleet of locos. But if they are...
  2. 4

    Airports And Airplanes!

    Love the lights. That would be very cool to see but not sure where it would go on that layout of yours. Course there are no rules that can't be bent some. The AIM ( Aeronautical Information Manual) is a great resource for runway info.
  3. 4

    Airports And Airplanes!

    If you need info on airport details let me know. I happen to know a thing or two about them. If you are putting in a runway and need info on markings or anything I can help there too. THings to consider is what kind of traffic you would be looking for. Large airports of course have...
  4. 4

    Athearn DCC ready locos

    So I have been told that the Athearn locos that are DCC ready have some issue with the wheels. Basically that because they used a cheaper metal the wheels actually cause small sparks and lead to damage to the track over time. Anyone have any experience with this?
  5. 4

    How do you quit second-guessing your track plan?

    I don't think I'll ever quit second guessing. THat's why I use nails and not glue. A friend came over yesterday. He has way more experience in this hobby and within 45 minutes was able to give me some great new ideas for how my future layout will go. Bummer to scrap old plans, but, how...
  6. 4

    Looking for ground throws

    Yeah just did a couple quick searches. They are definetely decorative only. Bummer. I guess you could still throw the switch normally and these would look right.
  7. 4

    Looking for ground throws

    Awesome thanks
  8. 4

    Looking for ground throws

    Hey guys, I saw these yellow ground throws a while back and haven't seen them since. They are simply a yellow handle almost like a rounded inverted triangle. The Boston Line over here has them as does the Pioneer Valley RR. I don't know where I saw them or what name they would have. Any...
  9. 4

    New to forums and to the hobby

    For what its worth I'd save the money you would spend on the kit. Pick an easy track plan from a book, buy what you need and go nuts. Way more fun and you're probably going to do just that anyway. Most of those kits just go in circles which gets kinda boring fast. I started out thinking a...
  10. 4

    New Layout Design Ideas

    Xtrkcad is a pain to learn but awesome once you get it figured out.
  11. 4

    Anybody here do this?

    I brought the main on my shelf layout from back to front. Lets me put industry on each side and also gives the train a feeling of moving across and through the layout.
  12. 4

    New SHelf Layout Plans

    Yeah I'm much happier with it. I am looking into some lighting. The layout is on a shelf and vertical space is severely limited. Home Depot has some plug in flourescent set ups. Anyone got any ideas.
  13. 4

    Curved-Ladder Yard Design; help needed

    Awesome thread. I will reference this for my CSX Boston line layout. Nice way to fit a lot in a little.
  14. 4

    Diameter of an HO curve

    I use 22" as my minimum radius on the bracnh line. THis means the total turn has a diameter of 44". So, your benchwork I guess would have to be 44" wide. Problem with narrow radius turns is the type of equipment you would like to run. So, you have to figure out what your goals are for the...
  15. 4

    Rockdale HO Layout

    looks like a fun project to do with the kid. Not wishing this time away but I am really looking forward to when my son is old enough to play trains with his daddy.
  16. 4

    How do you quit second-guessing your track plan?

    Just don't glue anything down. I have revised my little shelf layout a number of times and it has been as simple as pulling it up and putting it back where I wanted it. I just try to reuse as much track as possible to keep cost down.
  17. 4

    New SHelf Layout Plans

    So I reprinted the backdrop with the lustre finish. Still a little glare from the flash. I am going to go get some matt spray tomorrow to finish it up. This is a panel kit. For me the best route was actually to use glue on the back f the photos. It allowed me to slide the panel up to the...
  18. 4

    Using Flooring Tile on Plywood...?

    Could you drive a track spike into the tile? Or are you gluing the track? Nice thing about homasote, cork, or foam, is that you can dig into it to add depth or undulation to the area.
  19. 4

    Thoughts on the shelf layout

    Just curious, is this going to be a stand alone layout or will it tie into a larger layout?
  20. 4

    CMHN's Layout Build

    This is something the layout at the club I go to does. You have to backtrack about thirty feet to the end of the peninsula and then back up the other side to get to your train only to re-trace your steps once more. Not sure I would like that and it really has you bumping into one another on...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top