Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. K-Pack

    Show us your weathered boxcars and covered hoppers

    Here's one that I finished up a few weeks ago. It's not based on any specific car...I basically used it for trying out a few different things (safety stripes, oils, repaired roof panels). I'm not that happy with the roof, but I learned a few things for the next one. Before: After...
  2. K-Pack

    Kato questions

    I actually had the same questions about my NW2. I guess I'll have to be more determined to get mine open...I tried once and was terrified I would break something.
  3. K-Pack

    Ultra Sonic cleaner at Harbor Freight $59.99

    Dental offices use metal ultrasonic cleaners. You might be lucky enough to find an old used one for cheap. Just make sure you sterilize it first.
  4. K-Pack

    Need help detailing Athearn RTR GP units

    Tread plates can be purchased from Cannon and Company: http://shop.cannonandco.net/category.sc;jsessionid=10E3B3F1732AD2050ED74A63F687745A.qscstrfrnt04?categoryId=16
  5. K-Pack

    What Kinda Caboose is This?

    A little bit of modification to either one would probably give you the match you're looking for. For example, on the Athearn, you could remove the roofwalk, add grab irons, fill in and add windows as necessary using styrene and modeling putty, remove the ladders, and a few other mods (looks...
  6. K-Pack

    What Kinda Caboose is This?

    Here's a bunch: http://www.athearn.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=Wide+Vision+Caboose+RTR&CatID=THRF&RN=SF That caboose looks like a ton of fun to model. Good luck!
  7. K-Pack

    Show us your weathered boxcars and covered hoppers

    Are you using acrylics? An airbrush? I haven't tried that method yet, but I'd like to. Any pictures?
  8. K-Pack

    Show us your weathered boxcars and covered hoppers

    railBuilder - nice, very convincing. I love the fade and the streaking. I also like the attention around the hand grabs...behind them is grimy, and the grab itself is lighter than the car, suggesting they have been used. Great job. Dallas - Thanks for the comments. I'm not selling anything...
  9. K-Pack

    Show us your weathered boxcars and covered hoppers

    Thanks for the comments...I noticed the loss of detail around the springs as well. I'll work on that for my next one. Iomalley that hopper looks fanatastic. I like the spills. Let's keep this thread going! I'm getting a lot great ideas from seeing everyone's work.
  10. K-Pack

    Weak Lee Photographers Fun, June 12 - 18

    I was in Ft. Laurderdale just last week and there were a few trains with spine cars that passed by the airport. Some were loaded with trailers, so they're still in use down there at least.
  11. K-Pack

    Show us your weathered boxcars and covered hoppers

    Here's one in progress. It's an old Athearn Railbox model that I salvaged from when I was a kid. I'm still working on one of the sides, and have a few more touch-ups to make (add couplers, drop steps, and some more weathering). After removing my childhood attempt at...
  12. K-Pack

    Weekly Photo Fun 4-24/4-29

    Here's my first contribution to the weekly photo fun. This was my first real weathering project. The guys over at Protoweathering really helped me out and gave me some great tips. If anyone is learning how to weather, that site is a great resource. Here's the car before I started...
  13. K-Pack

    Athearn BB detailing project

    Thanks for the tips. I'm still up in the air on whether or not I'll be stripping the paint. If I had known to strip the paint before I started, I probably would have done it. I'll try painting over the factory paint, and if I really don't like it then I'll just take everything off. Here's...
  14. K-Pack

    Athearn BB detailing project

    I've been doing some work on the locos, as well as researching how detailing is supposed to be done. I have to say, after seeing the work that other people are doing with detailing, it's kind of depressing knowing that these aren't going to turn out nearly as nice. But I guess it'll be a...
  15. K-Pack

    Athearn BB detailing project

    Here's a bit more progress. I picked up a used Athearn BB GP-38 from a local hobby shop for $10 a few weeks ago. It had some decent internals (Mashima motor, new flywheels, nickel-silver wheels), but the guy couldn't figure out where the short was so he sold it to me as a dummy with all parts...
  16. K-Pack

    Simple and Effective Weathering

    Thanks for the links...I was looking around on rrpicturearchives.net for a good hour, but they only had more modern boxcars.
  17. K-Pack

    Simple and Effective Weathering

    Thanks for the technique! I gave this a shot today and had some success. I'm new to weathering, and this method sounded simpler than most. Overall it turned out well, with a few things that I learned and will work on for the next one. On one side, the brush wasn't completely perpendicular...
  18. K-Pack

    Question about detailing

    Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I'll definitely be trying out that Kadee trick. I think this post was in the wrong section, so I started a new one over in "detailing": http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17012 From what I can tell on ATSF GP50's, the...
  19. K-Pack

    Athearn BB detailing project

    I think I posted my first thread in the wrong forum...this should be the right place. I'm working on detailing an old Athearn BB ATSF GP50, along with a few others. I'm new to this and am looking for any advice and suggestions. Thanks! This was after I tried cleaning off most of my first...
  20. K-Pack

    Question about detailing

    Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, and just getting back in to model railroading after taking a 12 year hiatus. My experience with model railroading before was limited to childhood and various attempts at weathering and such in my young age...most of these experiments did more harm than...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top