Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. J

    Realistic (Fake) Building Interiors

    I admire people who create intricate interiors for their models. That's way beyond my skill level. But even if I could do it, most of the 50 or so buildings on the CP Rail Manitoba & Minnesota Sub. are flats--I couldn't add interiors, even if I wanted to. But I did want some of the buildings to...
  2. J

    WPF--- 02nov-12nov

    Luckily, with patch jobs, the prototype wasn't always that careful, so modellers don't need to be, either. Makes it a lot easier for a novice, like me. John Longhurst, Winnipeg
  3. J

    WPF--- 02nov-12nov

    Indeed, it is. 5417, (ex-KCS 672) was acquired by CP Rail in 1992. I made it like the prototype did. I took an Athearn KCS unit, removed the KCS lettering and numbers, masked the area below the cab windows and gave it a patch of primer, then added the numbers. CP Rail lettering was also...
  4. J

    WPF--- 02nov-12nov

    A view along the river on the CP Rail Manitoba & Minnesota Subdivison. John Longhurst, Winnipeg
  5. J

    Layout photos posted

    I've been taking a lot of photos of the CP Rail Manitoba & Minnesota Subdivision recently. I posted a collection of photos, accompanied by big band music, on YouTube. You can find it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ8C5GswoLI John Longhurst, Winnipeg
  6. J

    The train made me late for class

    Students at Goshen, IN College wait for a train to pass so they can get to class. The campus is bisected by the busy NS Marion Branch; I was there last week and took a few photos and gathered some information about how trains impact life at that school. It can be found on my blog at...
  7. J

    Weekly Photo Fun 9-10/9-16

    CP Rail #3122 switches the UGG elevator at Turney, Man. on the CP Rail Manitoba & Minnesota Subdivision. I posted some photos showing how I built this elevator on my blog at http://cprailmmsub.blogspot.com/ John Longhurst, Winnipeg
  8. J

    Visit to the Twin City Model Railroad Museum

    I was in Minneapolis-St. Paul this past week. Among other things, I made a return visit to the Twin City Model Railroad Museum in St. Paul. It truly is one of the finest open-to-the-public layouts in the U.S. I've posted some pictures and a link to more photos on my blog at...
  9. J

    Are you careful who you tell about being a model railroader?

    Are you careful who you tell about being a model railroader? The question came up on another forum, following the death of actor Gary Coleman. He was described by one journalist this way: "Like forlorn men everywhere Coleman had an abiding interest in model trains." While we know that...
  10. J

    Railfanning Norfolk Southern in Indiana

    Business took me to Elkhart, IN last week. I was able to do some railfanning along the Norfolk Southern Chicago mainline. With trains every 10 to 15 minutes or so, it's a great place to railfan, but the unrelenting black of the NS power does get me down after a while. Thanks goodness you can...
  11. J

    Let's see your first layout

    Thanks. I modelled southeastern B.C., from Cranbrook to Kingsgate, B.C./Eastport, ID, where it connected with the Union Pacific. It started out as a freelance line, but morphed into CP Rail as I learned more about the hobby and decided to focus on a specific railway, location and era. John
  12. J

    Let's see your first layout

    Shots from my first layout, the CP Rail Grimm Valley Subdivision. Located in a 12 by 18 room. Tracks went around the room three times. It existed from 1988-94 in a previous house. John Longhurst, Winnipeg
  13. J

    Model Railroad Lessons Learned

    Tony Koester's new book, The Allegheny Midland: Lessons Learned, prompted me to start a series of posts on my blog about lessons I have learned after 23 years as a model railroader. You can see them at http://cprailmmsub.blogspot.com What lessons have you learned over your time as a model...
  14. J

    Layouts in Winnipeg

    It has three levels--bottom level is staging. John Longhurst, Winnipeg
  15. J

    Layouts in Winnipeg

    Winnipeg hosted the NMRA Thousand Lakes Region convention last weekend; about 20 layouts were on display. I posted photos of some layouts on my blog at http://cprailmmsub.blogspot.com/2010/06/steam-on-prairies-2-layouts-of-winnipeg.html. There is a link on the blog to more photos on Flickr, and...
  16. J

    Rapido Trains CP Rail Angus Van Video

    It's been a long time since I made a video (life keeps getting in the way). But I was lucky to have my camera with me when the Fort Frances, ON-Ritchie, MB local departed the yard with a new Rapido Trains CP Rail Angus van at the rear. Check it out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSFzMPsLiv4...
  17. J

    Rapido Trains CP Rail Angus Vans Arrive

    They cost between $55-$60 Canadian. John
  18. J

    Rapido Trains CP Rail Angus Vans Arrive

    When Jason Shron started Rapido Trains, I told him I was sorry I couldn't support him financially. Since my layout is set in the mid-1990s in the Canadian prairies, I don’t need the kinds of things that Rapido is best known for—VIA and CN smooth side passenger cars, LRCs, steam gennies or F...
  19. J

    Coal loads from foam

    I actually spray painted the interiors and tops of all the cars flat black. When I did it, I lined up the other cars behind the one being painted so that the overspray would land on them and add to the weathering effect. John
  20. J

    Coal loads from foam

    The coal looks good in person, too. Like most things on a model railroad, it's a matter of keeping the dust off it--a light feather duster does the trick. John




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top